Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE profile range/stove is making high-pitched beeping sound.

Customer Question

GE profile range/stove is making high-pitched beeping sound. The small window that indicated oven temperature now says F 1. The sound and readout do not change when I push the buttons.
What should I do so I can cook Sunday dinner? And not go crazy from the constant beeping?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where do I find the full model #?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
its either inside the oven door or if it has a drawer it may be in there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure what the missing letter is maybe P

why did it take 13 minutes to answer such a basic question?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

okay you need to do a test,

F1 fault code: You have either a bad ERC (clock) or a bad touch pad.

1. Disconnect power to stove
  2. Gain access to the back of the clock (electronic range control or ERC).
  3. Unplug the touch pad ribbon connector from the ERC. This will be a flat wire approx. 1 1/2" to 2" wide.
  4. Make sure everything is clear and will not short out when power is turned back on.
  5. Turn power back on to stove.
  6. Watch for the F1 and listen for the beep.
  7. If you get the F1 and beep, replace the ERC.
  8. If after approx. 30 minutes you do NOT get the F1 and hear the beep, replace the touch pad.
    NOTE: Some models incorporate the touch pad and the clock all together as one part.

can you do this ? its either your touchpad (keypad) or the ERC (electronic range control) if you do to test above you will know which one has failed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OKAY I apologize for making you mad. I should not have expressed my frustration.

Does the stove have its own circuit breaker? Is there a way to identify 1 breaker switch from another one before doing trial and errror?

"gain access to back of clock" sounds simple but is not something I know how to do. Perhaqps I need to contact a local technician on Monday?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

You didn't make me mad. when I copy the info it comes out in bold letters , sorry. the best way to tell which breaker if its not marked is to have someone watch the range while you try them one by one, its is however going to be a double breaker. (one of the dual breakers) gaining access to the control requires pulling the range out and removing the back cover over the controls,if you don't think you can do this then at least shut the breaker off until you can get a tech out tomorrow, hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found the correct circuit breaker on the 4th try. At least the beeping has stopped. Hopefully nothing else is messed up[ because I closed the curcuit while searching. I will label this one today.
Thanks for the info
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thats good at least you wont have to listen to that all day ! thanks and very best wishes , Bryan