Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE Dryer model # XXXXX The machine was squeaking

I have a GE Dryer model # XXXXX The machine was squeaking very loudly, so I unpluged, took off the front door, cleaned it out, checked for broken pieces, The only thing I saw was the "felt" gasket on the inside had become wedged at the bottom, so I put it back into place.

Then I put it all back together, and re-energized the dryer. The unit has power, will let me select a drying cycle, but when I press start, I can hear a click or 2 inside, but the dryer will not operate.

I was very careful during both take apart and when putting back together not to pull any wires or anyhting.
Did I miss some type of safety mechanism?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.
let me pull up your model and take a look. I'll be back shortly, thanks , Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay is there any chance the belt came off while doing this? can you spin the drum freely by hand ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The drum spins freely. Whne I hit start, I hear a click as if there is some safety mechanism that will not turn the unit on.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay so the belts still in place and theres no chance it fell off the pulley ? there is a belt safety switch that wont let the dryer start if the belt breaks.you would hear the relay on the board click though. can you pull the top off the dryer and see if the belt is tight ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure give me a few minutes
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took off top, belt is tight, and drum turns freely
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you have a multimeter ? are the door switch wires still on ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No meter, but I am pretty sure the door wires are fine, I will take front off again to confirm they are good. Is there a safety for the doors as well?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well not a safety for the door but the door switch acts like a safety and if a wire came off it wont start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand about the door, the wires are all connected and there is no damage to them.

Also, the thick felt gasket like thing that the front of the drum goes into, is that supposed to go all the way around the drum or does the drum rest on the clips at the top? A couple fo those clips are broken, is that what was causing my intitial squeaking problem?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh they drum glides are worn and broken ? this usually wont cause the squeaking. the squeaking is caused by a worn rear drum bearing. when this goes it causes the front glides to wear and break. I think the starting issue is the thermal fuse has blown. this is located either on the back of the dryer inside next the heater or on the side of the heater itself. these sometimes short out. you need to test that with a volt meter for continuity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got it, but the squeaking could be heard from the top front of the dryer, almost exactly where those clips were broke

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well they need to be replaced at least. heres a link to parts. http://www.repairclinic.com/GE-Dryer-Model-DPSB613ED2WW-ID-850017-Parts I doubt theres to much wrong with the electrical on this like the control board. I think its probably the thermal fuse like I said. you need a volt meter to test that though unless you bypass it for a test only. its a safety.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.