Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Maytag Washing machine wont go through the cycle. It will

Customer Question

My Maytag Washing machine won't go through the cycle. It will start filling up with water after it fills up it stops running anything. it seems to still be just nothing is happening the dial doesn't move or anything. The check switch seems fine I went and got it tested and they said it might be a timer?

Model number: Model no. Lat9804Aae
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I don't think the timer is likely this issue. Check the timer after the washer fills. Does it count down to the end? Or does it stop right after it fills?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I know which one is the timer and how to tell if it's counting?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
The timer is the large knob that you turn to select the wash cycle. It turns when it's counting down. In a normal cycle you turn the knob to wash somewhere and then when the cycle is finish the timer has advance to the end of the spin cycle. I'm just wonder if the timer is counting down at all or not if you try to run a cycle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's doesn't do anything. Timer stands still.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
OK then that means your timer isn't the problem. The lid switch assembly (which also has a fuse and an out of balance switch attached to it) is the only thing that stops the timer from advancing, and they also happen to stop the motor from running as well. You need to order and replace the lid switch assembly. Below is a link to the part you need to order.

Customer: replied 4 years ago. WE fixed this problem already in january and it worked for a month. We pulled out the switch and tested it and the switch works so we can assume the switch isn't what's wrong and if it's good then what else could be wrong?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
There isn't anything else on this entire machine that would stop the washer from agitating, spinning, and draining--as well as stop the timer--as well as allow the tub to fill with water. There is nothing else. The lid switch assembly needs to be replaced regardless of what your tests show.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What would cause this switch to burn out as it is less then 2 months old? How often do they need to be replaced?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Out of balanced loads are generally the culprit for the switches going bad. Triggering the out of balance switch sends a slight shock and sometimes it will short out. Opening the lid 2 times should reset the switch if you haven't tried that already, but if it won't reset then it really just needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem and I wish you only the best.