Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my 10 month old stainless steel kitchenaid dishwasher is now

Customer Question

my 10 month old stainless steel kitchenaid dishwasher is now showing a brown discoloation on the stainless steel of the interior of the door. What is causing this? Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

brown discoloration is caused by iron in your water. usually what happens is the heater comes on and bakes this rusty water onto the door, I'm not sure what can be done to clean the door itself, you do not want to use any WD-40 or anything like that on this considering this is used to clean your dishes. I would definitely call KitchenAid however and see if this is covered under a warranty since this is only 10 months old. I am unaware of any product recalls for this particular problem so it has to be something to do with your water itself, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not believe iron in the water is the issue. I used a stainless steel cleaner to try to remove it and it did not work. I have had a prevoius dishwasher with a stainless steel interior and did not have this problem.

So far. Kichen aid refusesto honor the warranty

Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
How long is your warranty for? They refused to come out and look at it? There really isn't anything in the dishwasher that would cause this, that I can think of. It's possible that the door panel is faulty and the stainless is discoloring because of that. Is your warranty for one year on the tub or five? Usually the stainless is warrantied for a minimum of one year but it's usually five years. They have to honor the warranty. I you talking directly with KitchenAid are you talking with a service company?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I spoke with Kitchen aid and they said they would charge if it is not a mechanical problem. Tha warranty appears to be for one year and the dishwasher is actully 6 months old. The person who sold me the dishwasher in the store is looking into th matter.
thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay well if you sure you don't have any iron in your water or chemicals that will stain the stainless steel than it should be covered under warranty. You may want to do a water test. Most water companies will test your sample to see whether there is any foreign metals in the water. They do this for free so that would be the first thing I would do and then if the water checks out KitchenAid cant come back and say it's your water, best wishes and thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I was wondering if you heard anything back from KitchenAid? I see you accepted my answer and then asked for a refund and received it is there anything else I can do to help ? I'm sorry you are not satisfied. His or her particular reason why my answer did not help you ?