Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

My Maytag dishwasher will not start. The cycle light will

Customer Question

My Maytag dishwasher will not start. The cycle light will come on as well as heated dry, but when you press the start button, nothing will happen.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Jon Grella : Does the clean light flash when nothing happens?
Jon Grella : This machine could be trying to give us an error code telling us what is wrong with the machine.
Jon Grella : I can have you go over a few things to determine what the cause of the problem is.
Jon Grella : And if the clean light is not flashing make sure that the door is fully closing and making contact with the door lock and latch assembly.
Jon Grella : Email m back when you have a minuet to go over a few things and I can help you fix this machine.
Jon Grella : Thank you.
Customer:

No, the clean light does not flash.

Customer:

Only able to lock and unlock by holding the hot wash button for 5 seconds.

Customer:

Door is fully closing and making contact with lock and latch assembly.

Customer:

Can press the normal cycle and the light comes on along with the heated dry

Customer:

light, but nothing happens. Pressing cancel but will turn off the normal

Customer:

and heated lights.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
If you still need help with this let me know the model number so I can assist you.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay

It sounds like you either have a bad door latch assembly or main electronic control.

Email me back and I will help you through the diagnosis and repair process to check and repair your machine.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my answer today

Ok. To determine the latch is the problem please close the door and see if you can hear a click. If you do then the door is closing and fully sealing. If the lights don't come back on then move to the top control.

You will need to remove the inner screws from the inner door. All the way around. Then remove the inner door. After the inner door is removed you will see the control on the top of the door. On some models you will need to remove a protective cover that covers the control it will have two clips on one side that you need to depress to release the cover. After removing the cover you will see the control board.

At this point turn the power off to the machine and if you have a multi meter use a continuity check to check the fuse on the control. This is the most likely and common failure for the control. If there is no continuity change the fuse. If there is continuity change the whole control board.

Please email me back if you need help further. I will also try to download a video showing you how to check the board.

Thanks again for accept ing my answer today.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Please email me back here with the full model number found just inside the machine so that I can get ou the pa number syou may need to order the parts.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Below is a video link to a video on YouTube that will show you how to check and repair and replace a similar style electronic control computer in a dishwasher.

Just highlight and right click on the link below to view. And if that doesn't open the video go to YouTube and in the search bar type in maytag dishwasher repair and search for the videos for replacing or repairing the control board.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRzo4oim18