Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my maytag performa washing machine is making an awful noise

my maytag performa washing machine is making an awful noise when it spins! When you turn the top part of the drum, it clicks, as though something is loose and rattling around inside the drum. Can this be repaired easily, or should I start looking for a new machine?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you open the lid and look for a model # XXXXX the back? if its not there check along the top of the control panel. does this sound like a jet plane taking off or is it more a rattling like something in the pump ? or does it sound like its scrapping ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's rattling like something is in the pump. The model # XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay this is very common on these machines, what you need to do is tip the machine back and underneath is the pulleys, in the back right conner is the pump pulley, roll the belt off and turn the pulley by hand on the pump, if it makes noise or feels like its binding you need to replace the pump. this pump runs around $70.00 at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/356465/1480289?modelNumber=PAV2300AWW 90% of the time its the pump in this machine. hope this helps, thanks Bryan