Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

my gas kenmore elite oasis st drier will not heat. spins and blows but doesnt heat. this a

Customer Question

my gas kenmore elite oasis st drier will not heat. spins and blows but doesnt heat. this all started when the gas was shut off because of a cut gas line down the street. and tripped a breaker. would that cause a component to fail? i fipped it back and when i tried to start it, it tripped over and over until i realized the gas wasnt on. after it was turned on it did it a couple more times and flashed a pf code or power failure on display. I unplugged it and left it for at least 30 minutes, plugged it back in and it turned on and acted normal, but now does not heat at all. It does not trip the breaker. what could it be? also, it did flash a code f1 or f2 once in the process of me trying to start it one of the multipul times but it never did since.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

on the right side of the front of the machine there is a small plastic cap that pops off to look inside and see it the igniter is glowing, the cap is # XXXXX on this diagram.

can you pop that off and start the dryer and tell me if you see the igniter glow?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looking thru the hole, no I did not see any sign of an igniter lighting. I did put a flash light and look in the hole however I didn't see anything that even looked like what would be an igniter but if it were glowing it would be easy to see correct? The drier was on. Gas worked. Blows good. And timer did not decrease much.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes it would be easy to see, sorry for the delay in replying. this is the igniter. 279311 test for 120 volts going to the igniter if you get 120 volts the igniter is bad and needs to be replaced. you will need to remove the front panel to access the igniter. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Dryer-Igniter/279311/3415#repairHelpVideoTabs if you don't get 120 volts let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan, took the front panel off, tested for voltage at plug with dryer on., no indication of voltage at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. do you know how to check continuity ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not real familiar with it.. Not really and electrical guy,,
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well if I sent you a video would that help ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ya, sure.. Wouldn't hurt. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you still have the front off? can look inside the door and get me the full model #? I need the full model to look up the videos. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I've stepped out for a little bit.. From what I remember it is(NNN) NNN-NNNNor 7 white.. Is the kenmore elite oasis st gas.. Is there more of a model number. Ill get it when I get if there is. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay on the side heater can theres this, its the flame sensor, you need to follow this video and test it,

video and this also needs to be tested.

thermal fuse

when you get these tested let me know, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I took out the flame sensor and found that the blue wire had a short or melted piece where it was split., I cut it and added a connector and checked continuity and reading shows consistent .6 reading and does bounce around before doing stopping at .6...,, I'm sure that was one of the problems tho.
I also removed the thermal fuse and checked it and showed .7 and .6 readings after bouncing around also..
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
did you check continuity with the wires off ? thats important, take at least one wire off to isolate the sensor from the rest of the system to prevent false readings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took the whole sensor out and tested it.. It was completely unplugged but left wires attached but checked it at sensor itself.. Also took the thermal fuse out and tested it with no wires!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

I really have to opt out of this. sorry. someone else will pick this question up. thanks. Bryan

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Do you still need help with your problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do..
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
I have been trying to go over what you and bryan had done so far, you tested for voltage where the igniter gets hooked up and did not get 120 volts there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didnt get voltage at all.. I didn't necessarily check for 120 but I did put a meter in to check for any kind of voltage and got nothing -this was all for the igniter. I did check continuity on the thermal fuse and sensor fully disconnected and out of unit and got readings after bouncing around and stopping at a .6 or .7 on both!

All of this started when they cut a gas line down the street and blocked in the gas at the meter! My drier was running at the time. I did not know the gas was off and when I noticed the drier was not on, and I had no power, that the breaker tripped.. When I flipped it back and tried to start it, it tripped over and over until I noticed The gas was off! After the gas was finally turned on, I tried to run it again and same thing, ..,tripped breaker! I unplugged it for at least 30 minutes and plugged it in and it acted like it started fine! Then I noticed there was no heat! I removed front inspection cover to see the igniter not glowing., I checked the igniter, and no power out if the plug! I removed sensor, found a melted/plut in.(blue) wire, fixed it, and checked continuity and it reads a .6, so I thought this might of been the problem, and went to start it and again.....no heat!

Was it a coincidence that the breaker tripped and has turned off at the same time? Or was the gas turned off the reason for the trip? Or was the broken wire the cause for the whole thing?
There was no cloggage in the vent, duct air system..
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
None of what happen should have tripped you breaker, Have you tried jumping out the thermal fuse to see if the heating element heats up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you mean running a wire in place of the fuse? I can try it. Could the fuse still be bad if it still shows a reading? I'm working nights and will try it in the am! Also, what types of readings should I be getting or looking for when checking continuity? Thanks
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

to tell you the truth I don't have much faith in your meter that you are using, the thermal fuse is usually the most likely suspect in a gas dryer like your unit...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, ya it's a cheap one however brand new! I guess like all things, the fuse should be first to blow.. And guessing that the wire that melted would have caused the fuse to maybe blow, and also was wondering that, that fuse being blown would stop the igniter from even receiving power to it at all? I'll jump the fuse and I will get back with you.,...thanks
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Have a great day

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bypassed or jumped the fuse.. ......nothin! I put the meter to the wires and reads a 9.2, not really sure what that means.. I'm really not familiar with the total role the fuse plays.. Should 120 be read on this?
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

What settings are you using on the meter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
200v ac settings for under 200v
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
When checking the fuse are you using the ohm settings or the voltage settings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checking fuse itself I used lowest ohms for continuity and read .6,.7 readings .. I tried volts for the two connectors or wires at 200v and got a 9.2
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
With the fuse in check the voltage for the ignitor with it unplugged from the harness and running on high.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not getting any voltage at all! Check it with two meters! 0 reading!
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

If you by-passed the fuse and are not getting 120 volts at the igniter then your main control is bad and will need to be replaced. This is part number W10111623, You can order the parts you need from the following places, www.apwagner.com, www.repairclinic.com, www.searspartsdirect.com, or www.partstore.com, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for their items.