Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

Maytag centennial washing machine cant spin fast. Even small

Maytag centennial washing machine cant spin fast. Even small loads are unbalanced.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The two #s on my "use and care guide" are W10280550A or W10280551A-SP
open the door and there should be a model # XXXXX we need that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MVWC400XW0

Type 587

Ser# XXXXX
okay great ! thats it, now you say it wont spin fast ? what happens does it get really out of balance and shut down or start banging ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Bryan

We have had the machine for a year with minimal problems. The only problem is an occasional unbalanced load. Yesterday i heard it banging and rearranged the clothes and took some out to lighten the load. It immediately stared spinning and banging. i took out more, Still banging. Next I took out all the clothes and it ran through a whole cycle normally. I tried to start over with a small load about half full. Still banging. I tried to spin it manually with the lid open and could see that it gets out of balance if there is ANY load distribution imbalance.
Welcome to Just Answers, I will be glad to help you with your question.Your machine has a shifter mechanism on the transmission that probably is not working correctly. It shift the transmission for spin operation from agitate. You need to replace this part
http://i.imgur.com/EyC2K.jpg
You can get it from here
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Maytag-Parts/Washer-Parts/W10006355/0026/110/Model-MVW C400XW0/3048/0153200?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=W1012130&diagramPageId=00004&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=MVWC400XW0&subCompDesc=Gearcase,%20motor%20and%20pump%20parts&brandDesc=MAYTAG&modelDesc=WASHER&blt=11&shdMod=
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

Is there a test I can perform that may confirm your diagnosis?

Is it normal for the basin to have some water left in it after running it through a normal cycle with no clothes in it. I can hear sloshing around when I rock the basin but I cant see any standing water.
The machine has a water filled balance ring. So, you would here a sound like that. Unless the machine is not draining completely, but you did not mention that problem. If the machine is not draining then that could be the problem. You will need to check that out. If the washer is not pumping the water out, then you need to go to the bottom and take the hoses off the drain pump and check for something inside pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think that may be the root of the problem.
i disconnected the hose and lowered it to a pail at floor level. The machine can now get up to high spinning speed and finished the load. The pump may be struggling because the drain hose height is about 72" from the floor (within the 96" maximum). I am running a normal load through now to test.
If I hit the "accept answer" button will that end this conversation?
No I will still be here to answer some additional questions, but it sounds like you're on the right path now. I would take the pump apart and check inside, if the washer was working up until now.
Thanks for letting me help you
Experience: 35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs