Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

dryer will start but not stay on. runs for maybe a minute.

Customer Question

dryer will start but not stay on. runs for maybe a minute. cant get front panel off to check start switch. any ideas ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

when this happens do you have to wait a few minutes before you can start it again?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay so it will run for about a minute then shut off and if you press start it starts right back up ? immediately ? can you get me the make and model # ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
frigidaire model fe0332ces0
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay this means the motor is bad, in the motor there are start windings and run windings, the run windings are shorting causing the thermal overload to trip the motor .you will need to order and replace the motor in order to fix the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
explain why, that if i hold the start switch on the dryer continues to run until i release it ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

sorry was on break, when you hold the start button in the motor is running of the start windings which are still good.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so now what, when u release start button, dryer stops. sometimes it runs for minute, sometimes it stops immediatley.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes for sure like I said the run windings are failing and for the most part fried. you will need to replace the motor though because theres no way to rewind these motors, you will need to find one there in Canada , my suppliers don't have one or ship to Canada. well wishes and thanks, Bryan