The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Why does my stove and broiler work, but not the oven?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Most likely you just have a bad igniter.

I will need the model number of your unit to look this up for you.
Please click here for help locating the model number.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
XL44
That is the model series. i need the model number from the manufacturers label on the unit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see a manufacturer's label anywhere, however, the word Spectra is on the front.

Look on the chassis just behind the oven and broiler doors. It should be there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found it. The Model No. is JGBP35WEA4WW

Ok. Your unit uses two separate igniters. One for the broiler and one for the oven.

Your oven igniter has failed.

Please click here to order a new one.

To access the igniter remove the two screws at the back of the ovens bottom pan. You can then sewe the igniter. Remove the two screws that hold it to the burner manifold and replace it with the new one.

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
After you accept, please leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to be looking into the oven with the front door open, or behind the oven to see the "ovens bottom pan"?
From the front. Open the door, take out all of th e racks, and remove the bottom pan. The burner is under that.
Sorry. Forgot to add that you need to pull the unit out to access the igniters connector at the back of the unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to turn off the gas to change out the igniter? Also, is the igniter connector a brass nut?

It kind of depends on whether you van reach the igniters connector. The connector is in line with the hole that th eigniters wires go out the back if the oven chamber. If you can just pull the unit out a foot or so you might be able to reach it, but I have found it just as easy to disconnect the gas line and just pull the unit all the way out. That and it gives you an oppertunity to clean where cleaning is seldome done.

The connector is a plastic molex type. No nuts or screws. It just snaps/pulls apart.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get to the molex clip, nor can I unscrew the igniter. Is it possible I will have to tear the oven apart? The clip to the broiler igniter is easily accessed from the behind the oven, but I cannot even see the one for the oven. Any other ideas?
It may be behind a cover. Give me a second and Ill check

I am sorry but neither the service manual or the parts breakdown shows this information for sure. If you havn't already it might be best to pull the unit all the way out so you can see the back clearly.

The connector will be in alignment with the hole that the wires go through in the back of the oven. If there is a cover there remove it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned the oven onto its side and was able to pull out the igniter. However, I have a concern. If the igniter wasn't able to start the oven, wouldn't I smell gas building up inside the oven chamber as it would try to lite the gas?

No. A certain ohms value has to be met in the wires that go to the igniter before the system will allow gas to escape. as the igniter gets hotter the resistance in the flow of electricity goes down and that is what the system reads.

If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a place that I can purchase an igniter tonight so we won't have to wait for one to be shipped? I have the oven right where I need it and would like to wrap this up tonight.
Thgese are a common igniter. Your loacal appliance parts retailers should have one in stock.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is Sears considered to be an appliance parts retailer? Or Lowes or Home Depot?

No. they dont stock parts at most Sears stores. You can order the part there but thats about it.

I doubt that Lowed or HD will have it but I may be wrong. Never bought appliance parts there, except for things like dryer vent tubes, gas lines tec.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Who do you know that is an appliance parts retailer? Would there be any in Las Vegas?

Look in the phone book under appliances, and appliance repair. Im sure there are a few in L.V.

I live near Bakersfield so have no knowlege of anyone in L.V.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay...thanks for your help...you earned your money on this one!

You are welcome. Have a good evening! =)
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances