Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a 20 year old GE self claening stove Model # XXXXX

I have a 20 year old GE self claening stove Model # XXXXX Everything is working fine except the self clean. I tried the sequence to self clean and nothing is happening. All indicator lights are on and timer started. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is the door locking ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It appears to be. The door is locked but I seem to remember the latch going further to the right when locked but cannot be sure. I did not want to force it further.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, I know the style you have and whats going on is the solenoid for the self clean locking isn't working. is there a button on the control panel that you push when you slide the latch lever over ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The sequence in the instructions is:

1. slide door latch to thr right

2.Press: CLEAN button

3. Adjust cleaning time with: ARROWS

4. Turn oven temperature dial to: CLEAN

5.Turn selector Dial to: CLEAN

I assume you are asking about Step # XXXXX The CLEAN button?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well on some of the old ones you have a button you push and hold in while you slide the lever over, just wondering if yours has that? having trouble pulling up parts and diagrams because its so old.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No there is no button to push while locking the door.

I am not so sure it is a solenoid style. Before hooking up with this site I was searching the internet and saw a "heat sensitive" style with a diagram that looked similar at least the latch part that I can see looks similar. http://www.appliance411.com/faq/cleanlock.shtml

Is it possible that I could have that style?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well there is a micros witch in the door lock assembly thats most likely the issue. can you get to the latch lock assembly to test it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try to and get back with you...may be 1/2 hour or so.

Although I cannot open the door when the switch is to the right, should i hear definite clicking sound when I lock it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes but if the switch itself is bad it wont send a signal to start the self clean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have opened the top of the stove and have access to the lock assembly. What does the "micros look like and how do I test it?

Whe the latch is unlocked (left position) it is almost completely hidden under the overhang of the stove top. When to the right(locked position) it does not go a far under the over hang. This does no appear correct ?!

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the micro switch will look similar to this one, you need to test it for continuity with a volt meter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see that at all. If I take a picture of what i see can i send it to you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes you use the paper clip along the to of the post window to send pictures.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I see. your lock latch assembly is on the back of the oven connected by that rod thats why you cant see it. try looking where the rod goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the rod goes through the back. I will take the back plate off and see where it connects to.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay you will see the switches or switches there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sending you 2 photos. The first is when the latch is in the locked position and the second is in th unlocked position.

My computer is not allowing me to upload the photos. Please respond back and I will send. I think I interrupted the sequence.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay when its in the locked position the switch should have continuity. can you tell that ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure what continuity means but the rod is in contact with a strip of metal attached to a little box.

When unlocked it is is not in contact.

When I try to attach the photos now 1 box comes up to "browse" but the second box does not as did with the first photos

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure on your end why the pictures wont go through. are there any wires attached at the back where the rod goes ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes there are 2 yellow wires. It looks similar to the photo you sent me except there are spots for 2 where the 2 yellow wires slid onto.

I had 2 windows open with our conversations and sent the photos through the other one

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, the top picture is in the locked position ? if so you need a volt meter to test for continuity. in other words a completed circuit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes that is the locked position. I do not have a volt meter and will have to go to the hardware store and buy one. Is there anything special I need to buy or are they all the same and how do i check it?

Also, I will he clicking "accept answer" but was not sure if that would end our session so i have not yet.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

I'm sending you a link on how to test with a meter. u just need a cheap one to do this. heres a video. click this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Micro-Switch/3B73362F/1325771

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will go buy what i need and be back with you in about an hour
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the meter i bought gives me 4 options to check. AC/DC voltage, Resistance, DC current, and battery check. Which one do I need to calibrate for
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
resistance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is continuity, I can get a new lock assembly mechanism and change it out.

Any other suggestions

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well if theres continuity its good. a new lock wont help. does your oven have turn style controls to set the self clean ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes...see photo below

graphic

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is the lock light comming on ? the little lock icon ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both lights above both dials are coming on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

graphicIf

graphic

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

either your selector switch is bad or the thermostat is bad one or the other. at this point I would call a tech the parts may not be available.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.