Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Kenmore Elite DW model 665.13849k601 started making a loud

Kenmore Elite DW model 665.13849k601 started making a loud humming noise and the dishes are not clean on the regular cycle. A friend has the same DW and had to have the pump replaced for $400. The part is only $32 from Sears parts, so I'm wondering if the labor is that extensive?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

good morning, what is the part # XXXXX want to replace ? is it the Circulation Pump

? how much water is in the bottom of the machine after it fills in the beginning of the cycle ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have to run an errand right now and will troubleshoot in a few hours and reply then.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay get back to me then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The DW fills to just over the heating element at the beginning fo the cycle. Not sure what my friend meant by pump, not sure if it was the circulating pump thta was replaced. I'm running the cycle now and have noticed the loud humming goes away as the DW shifts thru different cycles. The hum occurrs only when water is being "sprayed". Not sure if that helps with the diagnosis.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay, well if the noise is only while its spraying it is the circulating pump. but that pump is a lot more than $32.00, that pump is $148.00, I think he must have replaced the drain pump but thats not your issue if it does it in the wash cycle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have watched a you tube video for replacing a circulating pump on a Whirlpool DW and it looks pretty straight forward. I have a Turbo Zone in the back of my DW and the one on the video did not. I can't seem to be able to release the water supply tube because mine is anchored differently. I push down on the tab but the wash arm assembly and water supply tube don't move preventing removal of the wash arm assembly. Any ideas?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you cant get the spray arm off or the back tube for the upper spray arm ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The you tube video shows pushing down the tab on the water supply line and rotating the wash arm assembly and the water supply line to the right to disconnect them from each other. Mine is fastened differently and they don't rotate to the right - I think because I have the Turbo Zone. Any ideas? Can I send you a photo?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
is it this one ?