Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Sears 30" electric smooth cooktop black. My wife

We have a Sears 30" electric smooth cooktop black. My wife had two pans on top of the cooktop and accidently set the burner under the empty pan to a setting of 5 while the pan with the beans in it that she wanted to warm up remained off. In other words she turned on the wrong burner. We smelled something so I had her recheck to see what was going on she discovered her mistake and turned to correct burner on and turned the other one off. However, when she removed the empty pan and small piece of the black surface came up on the bottom of the pan. It is about the size of half a penny. The burner still works but we have a bad looking spot on our cooktop because it is not black underneath the black cooktop surface. Is there a repair kit for this? Can you paint this area black with a special paint? What should we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you resend the model # XXXXX a space in between each # ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
7 9 0 4 3 9 9 3 7 0 0
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sadly theres not way to repair the top itself other than replacing it, this top however is available but very expensive. $260.02 . to look at and order the part you can google this Part #:NNN-NN-NNNN you may find a better price. sears parts select has it in stock. wish I had better news. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can we paint the surface under to match the black surface ? What kind of paint would do the trick? Everything works it is about the look, is there a fix to just make it look not so noticeable? Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately no. the burner would be to hot for any paint. it would burn off and possible drip and short out the burner itself. you can try a high temp paint on the top. never really done that so I'm not sure it would hold up but it may, they sell real high temp paint at auto parts stores . you can try there. let it dry good before trying the burner and keep the windows open first time you try the burner in case theres fumes at first. thats all I can think of, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the tip about real high temp paint at auto parts stores. I will try that if I can find some black around here at the auto parts stores. Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your very welcome I hope it works for you, please don't forget to press accept, its the only way I get paid, well wishes and thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.