Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a Maytag MDG9316BWW that wont start when loaded with

I have a Maytag MDG9316BWW that won't start when loaded with wet clothes. Starts when empty just fine. Yesterday I completely disassembled, cleaned thoroughly and replaced the 12 year old belt but it continues to do the same thing today. Has the motor lost the strength to turn the loaded drum? Should I be replacing the motor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help you with your issue. If the motor is humming and not able to start when under load, that is an indication of motor failure. The bearings are either on the way to locking up and are tight or the motor is partially burned and does not have enough torque to start when loaded. No other component would cause that and the motor would need to be replaced to fix that issue. Along with the motor look closely at the blower wheel and make sure that is fitting tightly on the shaft of the motor, the hubs on the wheel wear out also.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the help Tim. I guess I'm replacing a motor. Anything tricky about it? I'm a relatively advanced do it yourselfer that had no problem disassembling, removing drum and putting everything back together. Also, any ball park what I should expect to pay for that new motor from a parts store? Thanks again.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The motor is around 140 dollars, the motor really isn't that hard to replace, you will have to take off the front of the blower assy and remove the blower and sometimes the housing also, the bolts are behind the blower wheel. There are 2 spring clamps that hold the motor in place those are removed by pressing down one of the ends with a large flat screw driver, the trick to putting the springs back in place is hook one end in place and line up the other end and use a large screw driver at the end and hit the top of the screw driver with a large hammer and it pops right into place.