Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I am getting a F-01 error code on my Whirlpool duet sport dryer.

Customer Question

I am getting a F-01 error code on my Whirlpool duet sport dryer. How do I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
May I get your units Model number to better assist you?
If you open the door in will be on the face frame of the unit.
Are you there ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I requested to be notified by text message and nothing was sent. The model # XXXXX XXXXX (or 0)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I finally got the machine control panel and replaced it, but it still is not working. I did a diagnostic again and it gives me a 03 code, with the number three "3" reversed. Suggestions?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
U available to chat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I asked the tech how to fix my dryer. All I have received so far is a part #, which I ordered and recieved yesterday and installed it today. It still does not work. Need to know what to do next.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized whirlpool service tech and I can better assist you today.

What is the error code you are getting on the machine now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help Jon. I did a diagnostic again and it gives me a 03 code, with the number three "3" reversed. Suggestions?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Ok. And you had originally gotten and f1 or and e1 error code correct?

Does it take a long time for your clothes to dry or does the machine just stop before the cycle is complete?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Originally got an F1 and the tech said I need to replace the machine controller. I did not get an e1. I replaced the machine controller and and ran the diagnostic and now I get an "0E" code or "03" code (with the 3 reversed)
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Oe is an original equipment error. It usually means that there is no communication between the computers in the machine.

What was the part number of the machine control you installed? I would like to check that he told you to get the right part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
W10111606
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. Thank you

Let me check to see if that is thrift part give me on minute.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He actually gave me a link to the part. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Whirlp ool-Parts/Dryer-Parts/W10111606/0026/110/Model-WED8300SW0/1198/0151200?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=W0708234&diagramPageId=00002&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=WED8300SW0&subCompDesc=Cabinet%20parts&brandDesc=WHIRLPOOL&modelDesc=RESIDENTIAL-DRYER&blt=11&shdMod=WED8300SW0
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
I saw that.

He actually was thinking th central control unit was the part that you need replaced. He was wrong.

The f-01 error for this machine is for a miscommunication to the user interface or otherwise known a the main control. Or the user control.

The board that you should have change is the user interface board part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand will cost about $200. It to can be ordered at either www.searspartsdirect.com or www.marcone.com or www.repairclinic.com.

A lot of techs use repairclinic because you can send the part back if used and installed and did not fix problem.

I would order the interface and install that to fix the problem. This is the main board in the front top of the machine.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Besides the f1 error code, what was this machine doing or not doing for you?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Please email me back here to let me know if there was anything else wrong with the machine before or during it gave you the f1 error code.

Like if the dryer was drying as quickly any more. Or if it wasn't heating at all.

I would replqce the user interface and that will fix the f1 error. But there could still be other issues with your machine.

If you feel tht I have answered your question today please remember to hit the green accept button below and I will continue to help you with this machine. And after you accept, should you still have more questions, even at a later time, you can email me back here and i will help you further. For no additional charge as well.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure of this. I just pulled up error codes for this model and it indicates it is a primary control. Can you send me the repair manual for this model?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
The only repair manual is the tech sheet that should be behind the bottom panel in the front of the machine.

On that manual it will list the error codes and a brief description. You can check there.

But yes, I am definitely sure of your problem. I have been working on theses machines for years. And I have replaced the user interface much more then the Ccu on this particular model.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jon. I have to say I am disappointed that the first tech sent me in the totally wrong direction. Not what I expected from someone that had the credentials he displayed. So will the repair clinic take back the incorrect part that the first Just Answer Tech sent me a link for to purchase?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Only if you have purchased it from them. Sorry.

It is unfortunate that the first tech gave you the wrong info. I apologize on the websites behalf. I am sure it was not his intension to give you the wrong info.

You can try returning it to sears if that is where you purchased the part from and see what they say. If they do great.
If not, I might think twice about spending over $400 to fix this machine. And especially of it is over five years old.

I might just sink the money I would have spent on the repairs towards a new machine. You can get a new one for about $600.

But if you would like to order the computer interface and replace it to fix this machine I would get it from repairclinic.

T answer your previous question about if I was sure about the diagnosis, yes. I am absolutely sure. I have seen this problem many times over. And I am wondering how you put the machine into a diagnostic check mode of you didn't have the tech sheet behind the bottom access panel?

If you do have that tech sheet it will show you not only how to put the machine into diagnostic check mode but more importantly it will show an error code check mode. And in that mode it will bring up all the stored error codes on the computer for the last several times. And that is most important with these kinds of machines. Not the actual diagnostic check cycle.

And on that sheet you will see the f1 error code for an EPROM error. Which will tell you the communication to the user interface is at fault. It will tell you to check the wiring connector for any loose wires and the front panel for any stuck control or buttons. And if there are no stuck buttons or loose connections they recommend you replace the user interface.

But even after replacing the interface, if you had any other error codes or problems with this machine, the interface may not fix them as well. That is why I asked if there were any other issues. And infact, there could be another problem that caused the interface to go bad in the first place.

So please before you think about replacing the interface, please email me back and tell me if there were any other error codes stored in the machine computer or if you had any other problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do that. Just one point, if I had the correct answer in the first place, I would not be sinking over $400 into fixing this machine. I used you guys once before to fix my washer and it was worth every bit of the $30 I paid. Unfortunately, the mistake made by the other tech is going to negate any gains I made from the previous call. You've been great Jon, but the other guy sent me a link to a specific part that, based on your evaluation, should never have been ordered and that I didn't need. The only other thing I got from him was emails asking me to accept his answer (which was only a part number) so that he could get paid for a question that was unresolved. Who do I speak to in order to voice my displeasure with the original tech. You'll get accolades from me, but if I have a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer from your organization, and based on that, I will not be using it again. But I want to make sure the correct people understand why. Can you provide me with a name and number?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Again I am sorry that the previous tech has given you the wrong info. And I completely understand that had he not given you throng info you would have save $400.

The only thing I can say is that it is hard for us technicians to be 100% accurate all the time when we are not with the machine that is in question. We rely on the customer and there descriptions of the problems they are having. And for a situation like yours the original expert should have told you that not all the time does the computer fix the problem. There is always the chance for some other underlying issues causing the original error.

You can certainly email the customer service department here at the website to voice your opinions. And then see if they can do something for you. I can get the email address if you would like? Or it can be found at the main page when you log in.

If you need my help any further, please don't hesitate to email me back here or simply request me when logging in and I will help you further.

Sorry again for the experience you have had this go around with the website. Despite this last experience, I hope that you have found that justanswer has helped you or tried to help you with your questions and needs. And we hope to help you again in the future.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jon. Assuming your answer to the problem is the correct one, I will make sure your company is aware of your excellent assistance. As for the other guy, he has really done a disservice to the good techs like yourself. Thanks again. As soon as the problem is fixed, I will accept your answer. Thanks again. Bill
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
You got it bill.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon, I replaced both boards and I am still getting an 0E error.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Have you reset and rebooted the machine after you installed the new board? The instructions should have been in with the part. And if they were not, look it up in the use and ca manual.

The oe error again is for an operational error that means that there is a miscommunication between the boards and the machine. If you have replaced both boards and then rebooted the machine, the only explanation I have is that either the first board is wrong board for the machine like I said earlier and that will give you the error. Or there is a miswire somewhere in the machine. And that could have happened anywhere. It would be a huge job just to track done the wiring to the machine and find the problem.

I would call for service and let them take care of it for now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon, How do you reset/reboot the machine as you mentioned in your previous chat? First I have heard that this needs to be done.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
yes. you can reboot the computer your self by unplugging the machine for at least five minutes then plugging it back in. if you cant reach the plug, flip the circuit breaker off to the machine and let it sit off for the same time. then just flip it back on.

this is called the manual reboot of the computer. if that doesnt work for you then i would suggest calling in a service company to take a look at it for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already done that and the same results. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
ok. then i would call for service to have them better check your machine.

i am sorry that we coud not figure out what is goin on with your machine. sometimes these things happen. unfortunately. please understand that we cant know exactly what is happening with your machine if we are not there with it to see for ourselves.

if you need any further help with anything else, please dont hesitate to email me back at this website and i will help you further.

thank you.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
you got it.

thank you for your patience with this as well.

i will call my resources at whirlpool tomorrow for you and see if there is anything that we are missing. maybe there is a product update that i dont know about for this machine. you never know.

i will email you back here if i find any other info out. and you can always email me back here as well.and i will help you more.

thanks again.talk to you soon if i find out any other info.