Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a maytag epic frfont load washing machine purchased

I have a maytag epic frfont load washing machine purchased in 2009. Error code L21 - checked hose in back and is not kinked. Code still appearing - what should we do next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue. The f21 error code is a draining issue, more than likely the drain pump is plugged up. The drain pump has a clean out that can be removed to clear the debris. The pump is at the bottom of the unit and can be accessed from the front by removing the lower panel, the screws that hold the panel on are at the very bottom near the floor. Once you have the lower panel off, slowly unscrew the clean out and let the water slowly drain from the unit before removing the clean out completely. I use that lower panel to drain the water into and dump it out. Remove it slowly and allow to drain otherwise you could have a flood. If you need further assistance I will need the complete model number of the unit found on a tag inside the door mounted to the frame of the unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what kind of screw driver should be used to remove screws at bottom, they are not phillps or flat head
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Those are called torx screws and are either a number 15 or a number 20 screw both sizes are used. Some people have used an allen wrench to remove those.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is the clean out on the right side - what does it look like? thank you this is the first time i am using this facility and not sure when I accept answer - after we get it fixed? thanks again

Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The cleanout for the pump is on the left side of the pump, If i had the complete model number i could send you a picture. The cleanout screws into the tube that the tub drains to, on the rear of the tube is the drain hose from the tub, you turn that handle counter clockwise to loosen.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service