Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our Microwave model R-1880LS is dead. Nothing electrical works.

Our Microwave model R-1880LS is dead. Nothing electrical works. It is plugged into an outlet which has 110 voltage (I checked). The unit has been working fine for over a year. After the cleaning lady was here 2 weeks ago, the breaker, in the circuit breaker box, for this circuit was thrown. Resetting the breaker restored power to all the other things on the circuit, including anothe appliance plugged into the same outlet. However, the microwave won't restart. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

microwaves have an internal fuse , if there are no lights or digital display then the fuse has blown, the fuse is located behind the control panel. microwaves are dangerous to work on internally however so be extremely careful if you replace this yourself. its recommended a tech work on this . the high voltage capacitor can store enough voltage to kill you if its not discharged. (even when unplugged) please be safe. Lowes sells the fuses if you do this yourself. the fuse looks like this, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How can I discharge the capacitor? I have done minor wiring work around the house, and have dealt extensively with cicuit board diagnostics. Also, how do I remove the control panel?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the internal fuse is # XXXXX on this diagram, the capacitor is # XXXXX you need to take a screwdriver and short the two connectors to discharge it. wear heavy rubber gloves to be safe. to access the internal parts behind the control panel you need to remove the grill along the top and then the screws holding the control, slide the control up and then let it lean forward, these are usually hinged at the bottom. please be careful. thanks , Bryan