Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Nutone Central Vac Model# XXXXX Advantage Series

I have a Nutone Central Vac Model# XXXXX Advantage Series Power Unit, about 6 years old. Noticed that over time a black powdery substance on the wall on the left side of the unit {unit mounted in a corner and exhausted outside} that appears to be coming from the vac unit. Seems almost like a fine graphite type substance. It has gotten worse over time, started about 2 years ago. Unit works fine but concerned about health issues with this. Any thoughts appreciated ~ thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

this type of black powdery substance comes from the Vac motor itself, the bearing may be going in the motor, when the motor is running it will trough the black substance from the motor casing. the motor bearings are desinagrating slowly.

I would have a tech out to check the motor, these can sometimes become a fire hazard it the motor seizes, its best to have it checked. hope this helps, thanks Bryan