Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Our 5-yr-old Whirlpool 7 cu. ft. 9-cycle electric dryer WED5830SWO

Our 5-yr-old Whirlpool 7 cu. ft. 9-cycle electric dryer WED5830SWO does not turn on (except for the interior light). I have already replaced the thermal fuse with a new one (part #3392519) with no success. Then I tried the spare fuse I also bought. It still does not work.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Have you already verified that the door switch is working?

Customer:

No I haven't.

Robert :

Open the door on the dryer and make sure that the switch activates and the interior light goes out. Also, make sure the door hits the switch when it closes.

Robert :

Let me know if it does or not.

Customer:

Well, at first the door closed but I could see the light stayed on. Then I hit the switch by hand and the light went out until I let go. Then I closed the door, the light went out, and now the dryer works! What caused it to stop working before, and now start working again?

Robert :

The switch could have gotten stuck, the switch may be loose OR the switch may be failing.

Robert :

Would you like the part number for a new switch just in case?

Customer:

Yes please. There is a new problem. When the dryer is off, not running, there is a buzzing sound coming from the cycle knob (knob that is rotated to set the cycle). I don't hear this when the door is open, but if I manually press the door switch I hear it.

Robert :

That is the timer motor on the timer itself.

Robert :

If the timer is not in the full off position the timer will hum when the door is 'closed' until the timer is in the off position.

Robert :

I am getting that part number for you.

Robert : (NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part number. If you don't have a local place to purchase it then you can call 800/291-4610. They are open tomorrow and ship fast.
Customer:

Of course, yes, thanks. XXXXX have to replace the switch, how do I do that? It look like I'll have to take off either the front or the top to get access to where the switch is, but I don't see any place to unscrew these panels.

Robert :

I will get you a video.

Robert :

That will show you exactly how to do it.

Customer:

Great! Thanks for all your help. Have a good night.