Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a KitchenAid bottom mount refrigerator model # XXXXX

I have a KitchenAid bottom mount refrigerator model # XXXXX The stem from the motor that the fan blade connects to appears to have play in it so that when the motor stops, the fan at a certain rpm wobbles causing a loud sound like the fan is hitting metal. When off, the fan can be turned with no problem and it does not appear or sound to be hitting anything. Aside from this, the motor appears to be operating ok and it is quiet when it runs. Is this a sign that motor is getting ready to fail? Can it be repaired or does the motor need to be replaced?
Submitted: 2 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue, Those particular motors have a very high failure rate, the wobble is an indication that it will soon fail completely and lead to a no cooling situation especially in the refrigerator section. Replace the motor it is a non repairable part and only costs around 25 dollars. It is a common part and most appliance part stores will stock these. Sears parts direct has them, other sources are parts elect, appliance parts pros, or appliance zone. You can also just type in appliance parts in your browser to locate your local appliance parts stores.

Motor evaporator

PART NUMBER: W10128551

$23.04

This is from sears parts direct. The motor is updated and better built then the original.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim - This is not the freezer evaporator fan motor (part # XXXXX) but rather the condensor motor (part # XXXXX 51567530). Does this matter?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Yes that does make a difference. On the condenser fan motor there is a little play but not much, if the motor is not lined up properly or is loose the fan blade will hit the fan guard also if the blade is not on real tight this will happen also. I have had some were just adding a thin washer will keep it from hitting the guard also. So put it back in and make sure everything is lined up and tight and add a washer and see how it goes. Again in those motors a little play is normal if it is really sloppy and the motor gets hot when running then replace it. Those do not fail as often as the evaporator motors do but they do fail.
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Motor-cond

PART NUMBER: 10884507