Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

My 7 year old whirlpool freezer-on-top refrigerator (no ice

My 7 year old whirlpool freezer-on-top refrigerator (no ice or water on door) has a drain hose from the freezer that freezes up and spills water into the freezer and fridge. It used to do this once or twice a year but now it happens at least once a month. I remove the back wall of the freezer and pour hot water in the drain tray until the ice jam melts and water runs down into the drip pan. What can I do to prevent this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue.

Customer:

Go ahead.

Tim Alan :

You can do one of 2 things either loop a thin metal rod around the heater and make it long enough to hang down into the drain, so it keeps it from freezing up.

Customer:

Heater?

Tim Alan :

Or you could ben the heater down close to the drain hole to keep it from freezing up.

Tim Alan :

The heater is attached to the underside of the coil.

Tim Alan :

It's a black heating element.

Customer:

I only fix the fridge b/c a repairman showed me what to do. There is a heater in the freezer section?

Tim Alan :

Yes that is what defrosts the coil

Tim Alan :

If you can see the picture it is item number 4

Customer:

cannot see pic

Tim Alan :

I find that bending the heater down closer to the drain hole works the best and that is what I do, once the drain is thawed and flushed it will not freeze up again

Tim Alan :

Can't see the pic?

Customer:

I will try that next time it freezes up. Will not do it now -- bad weather and possible power outage coming.

Tim Alan :

Ok very good thank you, XXXXX XXXXX anything else?

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service