Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

i have a maytag washer model #lat3600aae. sometimes it spins

Customer Question

i have a maytag washer model #lat3600aae. sometimes it spins and sometimes it just stops on the spin cycle and doesnt continue. Also sometimes when it does spin it doesnt spin fast. i checked the belts they still look new.the motors slides are well greased and working well. If you spin the timer around to spin sometimes it will start to spin and sometimes it wont. when it wont if i jiggle the timer side to side it'll start. is it a bad timer ? a bad ground ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue. That is a bad timer, the contacts inside the timer are not making, replacing the timer will fix that issue.

Timer

PART NUMBER: 22004262

Above is the part number for the timer on your unit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so a bad timer can make it spin slow even when i can get it to spin?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Theoretically yes it could cause it to spin slow. The other thing that could cause a slow spin is the center bearing, to check that spin the large pulley in the center of the unit fast and make sure that the bearing is not seizing up. Was the slow spin evident before the timer problem? If it was spinning good before the timer problem chances are that the timer is the only issue, but just spin the large pulley and make sure the inner tub is spinning freely.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the slow spin is what made me discover the timer seemed to be faulty.

do you mean the pulley underneath where the belts are?

Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Yes the large pulley that turns the transmission, the one in the middle, if the bearing is tight on the tub that will cause a slow spin, take the belts off and spin all of them just to check to see if they all turn freely. The motor pulley and pump pulley also. If they turn freely and the belts have not been replaced then consider replacing those also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will check right now. ill be back in 15 minutes
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it does spin freely but it doesnt spin "fast", its like the gearing or the barrell is slowing it . idont think the bearing is bad. all the other pulleys, the motor pulley and the pump pulley spins freely.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Your not going to be able to spin it fast by hand, there is not way you can get it up to speed just by hand. Is there any oil of any quantity under the unit?
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dont see any oil,
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
If the transmission or gears were bad there would be oil under the unit. It does not appear that there is any other issue with the unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. well ill buy a new timer and hope for the best. is online the best place to get a good price? Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Sears parts direct has them, partselect, appliance parts pros, appliance zone, or type in appliance parts and do some shopping. Your welcome and thank you.