Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a whirlpool duet dryer (Model #8300SWD). The dryer

I have a whirlpool duet dryer (Model #8300SWD). The dryer is not currently working. It will turn on but when you hold the start button to start the dryer it beeps and the dryer does not turn on. It does count down and i have checked the thermal fuse with an ohm meter and it appears to be fine. When the start button is pushed you can here the circuit board click. Please Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Have you checked the belt on the dryer to make sure it is not broken or loose?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

there is also an error code f26

Robert :

Ok.

Robert :

Thatwas my next question. Let me look that up for you.

Robert :

That is a motor drive error. Reach inside the drum and turn it clockwise. Does it turn fairly easy?

Customer:

yes it does. When i opened the machine up there was also alot of lint in it which makes me think that it ran hot for a while.

Customer:

we have had multiple times that we had to clean out the vent from lint blocking it and hae had a problem where it would shut off in the middle of a load and would not start back up. but after cleaning and allowing it to sit for an hour it would run fine

Robert :

Ok. The fact that the tub turns tells me that the motor is not locked so it it possible that the restrictions and lint caused the motor to get too dirty OR form rust on the rotor.

Robert :

Check the connections on the motor and cleaned the motor as good as you can. Plug the dryer back in and test it. If it doesn't start after that then you will have to replace the motor on the dryer.

Robert :

I can get a part number and a suppliers number so you can order it if you would like.

Robert :

Is that something you think you can handle?

Customer:

motor looks clean we are taking the back off of the dryer to get easier access is there any way to isolate and check the motor?

Robert :

I am pulling some motor testing info for you know.

Robert :

That is an in depth testing video for the Whirlpool motors.

Robert :

Alot easier than typing it all.

Robert :

This next video will show you how to take it apart.

Robert :

I posted it because I saw where you said you were going to take the back panel off. Don't do that, follow the video.

Robert :

Keep me posted on how you are doing when you can.

Robert :

I am going to step away to help another customer. I will still be online so just post your comments and I will hop back in here with you.

Customer:

sorry about the delay took the back off the machine got a new motor and currently removing the old motor let you know shortly if everything works

Robert :

Roger that.

Robert :

I will be here.

Customer:

after re checking the new motor and original motor we figured out the original motor is good

Customer:

it reads 2.4 which was what the video said it is supposed to

Customer:

so motor is out must be a different issue

Robert :

If the motor tests good then you have a wiring issue between the motor and the board OR a bad board. That is very rare with an F26 error.

Robert :

Usually the motor is bad.

Customer:

it says f- 01

Robert :

F 01 is the new error now?

Customer:

it displayed both

Robert :

Hmmm. Let me look at that.

Customer:

could it be the thermo fuse? and could you jump that if so

Robert :

Didn't you test it for continuity?

Customer:

yes and tried to jump it and no differance

Robert :

The F01 Error is a failed eeprom reading on the main control board. In the side notes is states that it can be associated with a false F26 and sometimes an F24.

Robert :

The F01 error will always override the other errors

Robert :

This means replacing the CCU on the unit.

Robert :

The board is number 57 in the picture. It is attached to number 56.

Robert :

Pull the top panel on the dryer and inspect the board connections for burns or loose wiring.

Robert :

I am looking for the diagnostic test now. If it won't enter the diagnostic test, the board is definitely bad.

Robert :

That is the repair manual so you can see what I see.

Robert :

6-1 is the area with the diagnostic tests.

Customer:

trying to put the dryer back together b4 powering up

Customer:

but i will try the diagnostic test and let you know

Robert :

No worries.

Robert :

I will be here for you.

Customer:

still trying to hook the dryer up but got the controls and everything hooked up plugged it in and tryed to see if it worked

Customer:

originally it wasnt working but we turned the drum and it started working and has been working flawlessly we will put the whole dryer back together and let you know

Customer:

dryer seems to be working but still has an f26 error code

Robert :

Keep your eye on it. I think that board may have reset while it was off. If that F01 error pops up again then you will need to replace that board.

Robert :

Would you like me to get that part number for you just in case? I can also give you a number a good supplier that ships fast.

Customer:

no thats ok, got the part number for it when we took it apart

Customer:

thanks for time

Robert :

No problem.

Robert :

Let me know if you need anything else.

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.