Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a magic chef gas stove. It is not heating to the required

Customer Question

I have a magic chef gas stove. It is not heating to the required numbers. I took the inside botto out and brushed off the jets, and it appears to be equally burning when you turn it on. I think maybe the thermostat is messed up? Things I normally bake at 350 take twice as long as to bake. How can I find out if this is the problem? I got the stove when I bought the house in 2010, so do not have a manual to look up anything. help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Ok so there are 3 things that can cause your issue and the first is your igniter. You'll want to watch the oven when it's preheating to see if the flame goes on and off. If it does, then you need a new igniter because it's starting to fatigue and needs to be replaced. If the flame stays on the entire time until the oven reaches the correct temperature (on the display), then you have a different issue.

The other possibilities would be a bad oven sensor or a bad control board not reading the oven sensor properly. You can't test the board but you can test the sensor. Open the door and remove the 3-4" long thin metal rod attached to the back wall. There are 2 screws holding the sensor on that you can remove and then pull the sensor forward until you can disconnect it. With a multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor at room temperature and it should be about 1080 ohms. If it's not, replace the sensor, otherwise you need to replace your relay board.