Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my 20 year old Maytag dishwasher ( model WU304 serial #207876BQ

my 20 year old Maytag dishwasher ( model WU304 serial #207876BQ ) has developed a very loud motor(?) noise when it is half way through the rinse cycle. If I advance the control knob a bit the noise stops and the dishwasher completes the cycle.
Machine is cleaning the dishes OK but noise is a bit worrying.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

What kind of noise are you hearing exactly? Rattling? Squealing? Loud humming? clanking? etc...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the noise is a loud motor/vibration type noise. It stops if I advance the control knob a little further on the rinse cycle. Not humming, squeling or clanking.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok so that sounds like the unit is just running for a while after all the water has drained out. The next time it happens, open the door and see if there is still a lot of water in the bottom or not. Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ran through another load and the noise starts about half way through the rinse cycle - I checked and there was quite a bit of water in the bottom of the drum.
Once the bad noise starts I advance the control knob manually a few "clicks" and then there is a pump or motor noise that starts and then the other noise stops and things run normally again to the end of the cycle.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If there is water inside, and the noise is happening, I'd probably replace the discharge housing as the part will often get loose and if the motor starts spinning quicker due to having no detergent mixed in with the water and the heater warming up everything, the housing will rub on the impeller causing a loud humming noise. Really the only other option should be the motor assembly itself. The washer really doesn't do anything different during the rinse cycle than any other portion of the cycle except heat the water and wash, so it sounds like the heat might be causing something to get loose so that it vibrates. Advancing the cycle a few clicks probably changes the unit into drain mode which is why the noise goes away.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so now I have four follow up questions...
1 - can I still get parts for this machine?
2 - how hard is it for an unqualified person like me to replace the "discharge housing"?
3 - how hard would it be for me to replace the motor assembly?
4 - about how much would these parts cost if I can get them?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
1. yes, you can get discharge housing for this machine, but the pump motor is no longer available due to age.

2. I'd say it's quite difficult to replace the discharge housing overall since it requires taking your pump apart and at this age plastic tends to crake and break.

3. The motor assembly isn't much harder than replacin ghte discharge housing. It's the same process overall, but it's still quite a bit of dis-assembly.

4. The discharge housing is about $12 + shipping. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.