Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

RA - REC

Customer Question

washing machine making knocking noise at the begining of the wash cycle. sounds like its comming from the bottom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? And does the knocking sound only hapen when the washer first starts washing? It doesn't make noise during spin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mdl number 2277HW. it is only making the noise at the beginning of the wash. Not making the noise during the spin cycle.
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. About how long into the wash does it make the noise and does it only do it when the tub is turning?

Thanks for the info.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About 2 miniutes into the wash. Does it when the tub is NOT turning. Only does it during wash cycle
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.
During the water fill portion? Sounds like something in the drain hose to the pump and when the water starts filling it floats up and hits the tub. You would have to remove the front or back panel to access. have you cleaned out the pump debris filter lately?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is that the filter located located on the front of the machine near the bottom? If so I removed it and cleaned it this morning...was not dirty...also after removing I looked and could not see anything where the filter was
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.

front lower left corner behind access panel. Is the noise coming from that area?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.
You have a defective drain pump. The bearings or impeller is going out. Common issue on these washers. have to remove the complete front panel to access and replace.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would I need to replace drain pump and motor or just drain pump? Looked on line and see there is a difference.
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.

Just the drain pump, it has motor attached to it. Part # XXXXX

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way we receive pay for our knowledge and time.
Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed out the drain pump and that did not work...still making the same noise. I would like refund on the money I paid.
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.

Contact customer service at JustAnswer.com

I am sorry that did not solve your problem. Unfortunately I am not there to hear the noise. I will opt out and maybe another expert may be able to help you.