Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Neither my freezer nor refrigerator compartment get cold, but

Neither my freezer nor refrigerator compartment get cold, but the
compressor heats up and fan works. This is to a Kenmore side-
by-side refrigerator model 596.526733202, which is only eight
years old. Can you give some suggestions about self-repair.
Thank you,
Joseph
[email protected]
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Is it producing any cold at all? Any clicking or buzzing noises?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing is getting cold. I do hear buzzing (as mentioned, fan is operational) and some clicks,
sporadically.
Okay, that buzzing is the compressor trying to start (which is why it is warm) and the clicking is the overload protector opening to prevent overheating. If the compressor has a blue Native American headdress symbol and the work Tecumseh on it, it is likely bad. This has been a huge issue for these refrigerators and a new compressor kit made by Embraco has been designed to replace it. The compressor kit runs about $250 and the labor to install it will be about the same. If you would like part information, please let me know.

Clicking the “ACCEPT” button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please send information about compressor kit from Embraco. Is this something I could install? From your
experience, would this correction fix the problem, and how much more life would this eight year refrig-
erator have?
The new compressor would certainly correct the issue and the life expectancy would be around 8-10 years. The compressor is available at the link below.

Compressor Kit $242.92

This is not a part that you could install. It requires specialized training and equipment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I install this compressor? or does it absolutely require a professional
To install, it requires a reclaimer to evacuate the refrigerant, a torch to braze the new connections, a vacuum pump to remove the moisture, a manifold gauge set to access the sealed system, a scale to properly recharge the refrigerant and the proper refrigerant to charge it with. You will need a professional servicer to install it....