Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool refrig. model #GD2SHGXLB01. I came home

I have a whirlpool refrig. model #GD2SHGXLB01. I came home from work yesterday evening and the frig was totally warm. Compressor cooling fan is working, compressor was hot but not running at that time. I turned the frig inside thermostat off for a minute and turned it back on with no change. I unplugged the frig for an hour or so and plugged it back in. It sounded like the compressor might have come on but still no cold air. After about an hour I checked again and no cold air and the compressor was room temp. This frig is nine yrs old but very limited in use because I am the only person living here.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.