Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I purchased a new home that came with a Kenmore electric range

I purchased a new home that came with a Kenmore electric range Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN When i used the oven for the 2nd time set the temp to 350 and after 2-3 min. I heard a loud pop and noticed that the range had smoke coming out the back and started a fire which poped the breaker. I called Sears repair and was informed since I did not purchase the range myself and with no reciept with date of purchase from the builder and none obtainable the would not do anything for me other than sell me a SSA policy for $300. and have service come out an fix it. I have been trying to get any info on this model as to service announcements or recalls and Sears had no comment. Any helpful ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the most common issue that would cause your problem wouldn't be covered by warranty from the manufacture anyways---it would have to be warrantied through the 1 year on your new home builder. What usually causes this pop and smoke is the power cord. Power cords are not sold with the ovens and have to be installed after you purchase the oven. If one of the connections on the back of the oven wasn't tight when the installer installed the power cord, then the terminal block will short out and the wires will burn. Pull the oven forward and remove the cover where the power cord enters the back of the oven to see if the terminal block shorted. If so, then you need to call your builder. Regardless of whether or not Sears will cover the issue---I wouldn't worry about it. That will be the builder's fight with Sears because the builder still warranties everything on the house for 1 year from the time the home is sold. That is fairly standard.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This was not a power cord issue. The realitor and I pulled off the back and found a main lead to the upper element had burned off and shorted out and started the main circuit board on fire. This is amanufacture defect and the only question is what to or can be done. I live on my SS and not afford to buy a new range. I do feel Sears should at less look into the defect and provide some effort.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
OK well can you give me the model and serial number? I can look up the model and serial and if it happens to be made less than one year ago, you don't need a receipt. You can just tell them it was made less than a year ago based on the model and serial so it has to be covered under warranty.

Aside from that, this really isn't your battle as I've said before. This is a battle between your home builder and Sears. I would call your home builder and let them handle it, because no matter what the home builder has to warranty the house for 1 year if it's new construction and not a short sale or something like that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

The Model is Kenmore(NNN) NNN-NNNN

SN # XXXXX 00765639

The builder went Bankrup and I have no recourse there. I purchased the home from the bank and they will not help If you find info on the Model that may help please let me know

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
So this range is over 2 years old. It was manufacturered on the 7th week of 2010. There is really no way that they are going to be willing to fix this range. The reason the unit is so old is because the builder went bankrupt and when you buy a hose where the builder goes bankrupt---warranties go out the window. I'm sorry I don't have better news, but there is really nothing you can do but hire someone to replace the control board itself, or call sears and pay them $300 to have it replaced.