Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

LG made Kenmore french door refrigerator,795.77314600,light

LG made Kenmore french door refrigerator,795.77314600,light came on and melted sheild.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is quite a common issue and unfortunately the main mother board on the back of the refrigerator will need to be ordered and replaced along with whatever melted inside the refrigerator itself. The reason all the parts came in the kit is because sometimes the thermistor would melt, and you can never be 100% sure that the light switches didn't cause the problem. That being said, the main control board has always been the culprit whenever I've seen this problem and I've seen it a lot. So replace all melted parts as well as the main control board and you'll be good to go again.

I would call Kenmore and see if they have a recall on this specific model because if so, they will replace the parts at no charge at all.