Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Hi, I have a gw612 that didnt completely take out the water

Customer Question

Hi, I have a gw612 that didn't completely take out the water at end of rinse. No fault codes I thought it had a blocked hose at bottom of machine. I tilited it back, the pump spindle spinned freely, took out the plastic lug that held the pump in place. I then rotated the pump and removed it after taking of electric cables. I removed the hose clamp. i saw that the hose had to be rotated 90 degrees and had to be pulled hard to get the ose off. I poured water into the top of the hose to get it to run freely with a bowl under the machine. Couldn't find a block. I replaced the hose, hose clamp, pump, wires and plastic lug. stood the machine back up and water poured out of the bottom. I waited for 5 mins startred the machine and tripped the power safety circuit breaker. Watr had poured over the3 pump and electrics. How can thi happen when I put all back as I found it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.

Appliance Guru :

hello

Appliance Guru :

I see you are not having a good time with this machine

Appliance Guru :

Is the unit dead now?

Customer:

Hi, Also before I thried all above I cleared out a couple of bobby pins from pump by taking bowl out etc. I have to do that every 6 months as I have 3 girls wholeave these in pockets in wash. No real problems detected. Just pump wouldn't complete job?

Appliance Guru :

It popped and went dead?

Customer:

Shouldn't be dead now, i took the pump out again and used a hair dryer for a few minutes. I also took the metal plate of the bottom of the machine so I didn't have to twist the hose 90 degrees. I reseated the hose, replaced the metal plate, replaced the pump etc. Stood the machine upright and more water poured out over ht epump so I didn't try to start it. Why is it leaking and why is the pump not pumping in the first place, very frustrating

Appliance Guru :

It may not come back on at all, if water went over the pump there is a good chance it blew the transistor on the motor controller. You can see, but if it does not light up at all once you connect the pump the motor controller is going to be shot. Now as far as why it leaked in the first place, there is a rubber gasket on he pump that can get twisted when turning it back in place...this happens. Lastly the reason why it was not pumping all the way out is there may be something in the diverter valve or the diverter valve is not working, that is very common. That is the Y shaped gray piece that one of the pump hoses attached to.

Appliance Guru :

They now have a fuse in line with the pump for just that reason

Customer:

Can you tell me wher the diverter valve is? I see the hose coming from the botton of the machine as explained earlier, that hose just goes to the back of the machine and up the back. How do I stop it from leaking? Can I save the motor controller?

Appliance Guru :

No once the motor controller blows it is junk. Did you hear a sharp pop and then it all went dead?

Customer:

No pop

Appliance Guru :

Is the pump dried out?

Appliance Guru :

diverter valve can you see the image?

Customer:

I looked for and could not find a gasket on the pump. So it appears I need a new controller, is the pump and controller one part? is ther a separate gasket? how can I be sure I don't stuff up a new controller when installing it?

Appliance Guru :

No the pump comes with the black gasket on it and runs about $110 and the motor controller runs $200 or so

Customer:

I can't see any image, where am I looking?

Appliance Guru :

There is something wrong with the chat images.....

Appliance Guru :

Does the unit turn on at all with the pump plugged in?

Customer:

Haven't rried it since the thing leaked the second time. I haven't since been back with the dryer etc before trying it

Appliance Guru :

You have to have the pump plugged in or the unit will not turn on

Appliance Guru :

Ok, here is a link so you can see what the diverter valve looks like. There is a bolt holding the clamp in place and then there is just three pinch clamps for the hoses attached along with the two wires for the wax motor on it

Appliance Guru :

Did you get that link

Customer:

OK I got the link. It dosen't list the gw612? Anyway where am I to find the diverter on my machine?

Appliance Guru :

Just look behind the pump its right there...there are three hoses to it

Appliance Guru :

If you saw that pic that is what it looks like, you can;t miss that plastic shield around it

Customer:

There is nothing like it on the bottom of my machine!

Appliance Guru :

Yes there is here is the manual for your unit part #23 page #16

Appliance Guru :

Not that link this one sorry

Appliance Guru :

Can you click that long link

Appliance Guru :

The diverter valve is there all of the fisher paykel units have them

Customer:

So why can't I see one? At the bottom the is the pump assembly with the spindle and electrics to one side. Next to that is the hose the goes to the back. Apart from that there is just the bottom of the plastic bowl.

Appliance Guru :

Do you see the long tube going straight up the side of the machine for recirculation water?

Customer:

Is it OK to turn the machine on to its back, I don't like leaving it onand angle?

Appliance Guru :

Yes it won;t hurt anything on an angle

Customer:

Ok I will go look for the long tube, which side should it be on?

Appliance Guru :

Have you seen the water come out the top side recirculating on the clothes?

Customer:

no

Appliance Guru :

You have a GW612 correct?

Customer:

yes gw612

Appliance Guru :

Yes did you get that manual link?

Customer:

Can I double check model on machine?

Appliance Guru :

They are all the same as far as this goes

Appliance Guru :

Just plug the pump back in and see if it turns on.

Customer:

OK this is getting very hard. I have water averywhere and can't put machine on back without undoing all supply hoses so I looked again and can't see any recirculating pipe. Is it at front back, left or right side?

Appliance Guru :

It should be on the right side.....did you get the link to the manual so you can visually see it?

Customer:

I see the manual, I have no such pipe

Customer:

Is the pipe inside plastic bowl?

Appliance Guru :

I have no idea what to tell you, that is the manual for the GW612 unit. The pipe is on the outside of the outer tub. Let's get back and see if it even works first. Is there still a bunch of water in it?

Customer:

I now have machine on its back, I can't see any water in the machine. How can I repace pump without it leaking?

Customer:

I can feel the rubber surface on top of pump seal, no sepaaret gasket?

Appliance Guru :

That is the gasket...obviously I can not be there to see what you are seeing.

Customer:

should I put a coat of vaseline on top of pump seal? As explained before you just put pump in and turn. I have done that twicw today and its leaked both times!

Appliance Guru :

Yes you can put a little vaseline on it, the gasket may be bad

Appliance Guru :

You can still see if it turns on without mounting the pump back in just plug the wires to the pump in and plug the machine in to see if the indicator light light up

Customer:

OK sorry for delay. I reinserted pump, dried wires with hair dryer, put machine upright and plugged into power and it came on. light lit up, then last two of cycle stayed on I hope this means controller works?

Appliance Guru :

Yes it should be working hopefully. What you need to do is check that manual I sent you locate the diverter valve. Take it off and look in it to make sure nothing is caught inside of it. If there is nothing in it you may need a new one anyways. The part number is XXXXX that manual I sent you for it and all the parts for your unit.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX confirm please if my machine has afuse to stop controller from blowing? Ols back on the deverter valve, it has three connections, what are the three? I will try to track it dow fromanother angle? I wish I could attache a photo?

Appliance Guru :

it does not, if you buy a pump it comes with the new pump

Appliance Guru :

I have to get going soon I know this took a long time, but I hope you can manage it from here. Please click accept if I assisted you otherwise I receive nothing thanks

Customer:

Sorry for long time, bit confusing no being able to locate diverter here is a picture of the bottom of my machine from front, no diverter or recirculater pipe!

Appliance Guru :

I don't know what to tell you that is your model and I have not seen a fisher paykel without one

Customer:

Ok so what would the three connections go to /from for the diverter. Is it possible my machine doesn't have a diverter?

Appliance Guru :

I would not know of any

Appliance Guru :

call this number and have them look it up for you to double check 1300 650 585

Appliance Guru :

That is fisher paykel parts department they can tell you 100%

Customer:

thanks for your help, just prining chat so I can go over the divert problem

Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
You should be able to see it now to print it better
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got in contact with Fisher & Paykel customer care. gave them model GW and serial no RRN587932 and went through the parts. They agreed there was no diverter valve on my model. Anyway I ran the machine again this morning and it went through the wash and then stopped during rinse cycle and beeped, diagnosis mode I assume and had this code 00X00X0X where X= on. I took this as code 37, pumping problem. No deverte valve to test, drain hose pumps out OK most of time, maybe dodgy pump or dodgy motor controller? I turned machine off, left it for a while, restarted at Rinse cycle and all pumped, drained and spun well. It appears I have a intermittent problem which would point to motor controller? I can get one locally for $154, would you agree or would you replace pump?

I would replace the pump before replacing the motor controller, the pumps are know to fail. It may have a winding failure on it.