John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I began finding the ice maker bail in the up or open position

Customer Question

I began finding the ice maker bail in the up or open position and just thought it was from removing ice from the bin. Then it stopped completely. I put in a new valve unit from sears and this did not help. (No water in the tray before or after) I then changed the ice maker except a pigtail came with the new unit and mine would not unplug from the freezer cabinet. This unit also from sears. Water dispenses from the door but no water to the ice tray, but it can be forced by shorting the front panel. The numbr\ers on the booklet are
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 4 years ago.
If you have replaced the icemaker and the water valve in the back, there is not much else left. I would test the valve first by swapping the plugs on the water valve. If you put the plug that is on the water side to the ice side of the valve you can activate the valve with the water paddle on the dispenser. Take off the small tube on the valve and put a towel down and see if water sprays out when you activate the water paddle on the dispenser in front. try that and get back to me with your results.