Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

What parts of dishwasher are damaged when wrong detergent is

What parts of dishwasher are damaged when wrong detergent is used?

What causes dishwashers to overheat? In instances wehre wrong detergent was used, can the main board be damaged?

What causes dishwasher not to automatically switch off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you use the wrong detergent, the water will overflow the drawer and cause an F1 error (which makes the unit automatically drain all the time). To correct the issue, pull the bottom drawer out. There are 2 square plastic push tabs on the right and left side of the drawer just behind the front panel. Pull the drawer forward and push in on these tabs. This will allow you to pull the drawer out a bit further so that you can get towels in the base pan behind the drawer.. Soak up all the water and leave the unit unplugged for 24 hours to let it dry out. Once it's dry, the F1 error will not return. If the F1 error does re-occur, then unfortunately you will need to replace the small filter board in the back left corner of the base pan under the plastic housing because that is what senses the water. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to remove the bottom drawer so that you can complete this repair.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On a test cycle when this happened, the dishwasher overheated? What caused it to overheat? Can the main board be damaged by overheating or was it damaged by the use of wrong detergent in the first place?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no, the control board can't be affected due to overheating from using the wrong detergent. If it's overheating, possibly your heater is bad? Or maybe the water dripped down and shorted out the wiring harness for the heater where it plugs into the filter board in the back left corner under the bottom drawer and plastic cover.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I used the wrong detergent, there was shorting of power, burning smell, leaking and oversuds initially? Maybe the water dripped down and shorted out the wiring harness for the heater where it plugs into the filter board initially after all damaging the main board. Is this correct?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I really don't think that the main board was shorted, but yes it's possible that the filter board and the wiring harness was shorted and will need to be replaced.

The main board is located inside the front panel of the drawer and it doesn't short out often at all.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.