Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

model #15955792 wont drain completely. Leaves about 2 inches of water in bottom

Customer Question

model #15955792 won't drain completely. Leaves about 2 inches of water in bottom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There is a check valve that clogs often on this dishwasher preventing it from draining properly. Turn the circuit breaker off prior to servicing it. Remove the kick panel below the door on your dishwasher. The drain hose is attached to a white plastic tub in the front right corner of the motor assembly. Remove the drain hose and unscrew the plastic tube. This plastic tube is the check valve. Remove this part and flush it with your faucet. You can also clean it out with a toothpick if the clog is rather bad. There is a rubber flapper inside the unit that prevent water from going one direction but it will allow water to pass through the other direction. That is the check valve that gets clogged. Below is a link to the part you'd looking for.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed and cleaned the check valve but the water seems to empty up to a point and then stops. I put it on a rinse cycle to test it and then canceled after 2 minutes.It drained most of the water out but a 2 inch puddle remained on the very bottom in the pump well. What do you suggest now?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If that valve is clean and you're positive about it. blow though the drain hose and make sure it's clear as well. If you still can't get the unit to drain all the way, you'll need to replace the seal and impeller kit inside the motor. Something is going on with the drain impeller where it's not producing enough pressure to drain the water properly. Below is a link to the kit you'd need to order.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I don't understand is why the pump drains most of the water but leaves a few inches in the bottom.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
either there is a slight restriction in the drain line, or it doesn't produce enough pressure to push the last bit out of the drain hose.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What could cause the reduced pressure? It worked up until a few days ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I really don't understand, I've already explained that 2 replies ago:

Quote:

If you still can't get the unit to drain all the way, you'll need to replace the seal and impeller kit inside the motor. Something is going on with the drain impeller where it's not producing enough pressure to drain the water properly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay; I could not get the black piece off. It continues to spin when I try to unscrew the hex head screw in the middle. I noted that the black plastic thing has a hex head on it but I cannot seem to get a secure grip on it. Also is the hex head screw a regular or left hand thread?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
All the crews are regular threaded. And you need to grab the hex plastic nut with an adjustable wrench and hold it still while unscrewing the screw. If it breaks, then don't worry about it because it's plastic and old and it often breaks. The new impeller kit will come with a new black impeller. This black plastic part is actually your "wash impeller".

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried to unscrew the hex head screw but it does not want to unscrew. I tried even going righty loosy but even that did not budge it. It turns but does no release the black impeller. Could it be stripped? It has never been touched before.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It could be stripped. But if you can't get it then you need to call a technician to remove it of break the impeller.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the impeller with a new kit but it still does not drain all the water. What is next?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
if it still doesn't drain all the water out then your drain hose isn't as clear as you say it is. Check for a blockage and if you can't seam to find one, then replace your drain hose.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Most of the water drains out; only an inch or two remain. I have seen the water drain out into the garbage disposal.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I understand that "most of it drains out", but if the hose is partially clogged it will stop it from draining all the water out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay; i will try it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
goog luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cleaned the drain pipe and reassembled the unit. I had to pull it out to get to the drain. I ran a rinse cycle for about 5 minutes and then cancelled it. It left water in the bottom again. However, I pushed the cancel/drain button again and it drained completely this time. What do you make of this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
that means there is still a partial clog in the drain somewhere.