Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

RA - RDE

Customer Question

Maytag washer model LAT8415AAE made a noise similar to a dry bearing when starting a laundry load. It washed a couple of more loads before quitting. The local repair shop diagnosed it as a bad motor. The motor was $420.00. I elected not to repair the 16 year old machine. I found a motor for 157.00 so I purchased it and installed it. Now the machine makes a humming noise when I try to start a cycle. What else could be wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will use all my training and knowledge to help you so please bear with me ,, thanks

the drum bearing are froze from water leaking on them, the washer will have to be torn down and the seals and bearing has to be replaced, this will cost about $300 for parts and labor and to do this you will have to call in a servicer because of special tools needed and everything screws and unscrews backwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see any water leaking inside the machine cabinet. The local shop did not mention anything about drum bearing frozen. The motor would not turn so they said the motor was bad. Why would they have made the same diagnosis?
the motor would not turn if the bearings are frozen because it can not turn the tubs, the water may not be a drip as much as a mist because it would be throwing the water as the drum spins, the bearings is the problem, i have seem this many times before and not just on maytag
i see you have not press the accept button yet and I'm about to go off line so if you still have questions please ask now ,,, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can turn the drum by hand from under the cabinet. The old motor shaft does not turn by hand. I can't believe the local shop would miss the drum bearing being bad.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can spin the drum from under the cabinet by hand fairly easily. The old motor shaft turns very hard. I am not convinced the bearings are the problem. The local repair shop is a very good service shop and has fixed other appliances for me. I can't believe they would mis-diagnosis the problem
remove the belt and set to spin and turn on, tell me if the motor runs then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the motor spins with or without the belt in the spin cycle.
but with the belts off and turned on does it run or just hum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I ran the spin cycle it ran. I put both belts on and started the final rinse cycle. It ran and did not hum
so it will run now with the belts on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it will run with both belts on. I just started a regular cycle.
if it quits then the bearing will have to be replaced and the service place you are bragging about was charging what it would cost to tear it down and put in the bearings and seals, the brand new motor only cost about $151 and between the motor and labor it would cost between $200 and $225 so they were trying to get to you when wanting to charge $420 for just the motor