Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have an old top loading Roper washing machine that many times will not spin out all of t

I have an old top loading Roper washing machine that many times will not spin out all of the water. This machine is used for heavy, very dirty, dog bedding. Before tearing into it, thought I'd ask where to start looking for the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will use all my training and knowledge to help you so please bear with me ,, thanks

will it spin empty?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Honestly, have not tried empty, although I've tried with just a few pieces and sometimes it spins out, other times, not.
are you home now so you can set it to spin and turn on and tell me if it does
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this machine is out in my kennel grooming room, and currently has a load of rather wet laundry in it. If you can give me 30 minutes or so, I should be able to get back with an answer.

violet

i will be here and be sure its empty when you do it ,, thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the water went out, but it appears as if the pump is working to get the water out, but the drum and agitator are not spinning.
the basket drive will have to be replaced, its part number 285792 which cost about $120, to do this you will have to remove the screw from the back of each back side of the control panel, raise and unplug the lid switch and pop loose the two hold down clamps, slide the cabinet off the base, remove the agitator and the nut holding the spin basket and set out, tilt the washer back, unclasp the pump and pull back and off, unclasp the motor and set off, remove the 3 bolts on the bottom holding the gear case up and pull out, the drive sets on top of the transmission shaft under the other tub