Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs

My washer stopped with one minute left, The spin light is flashing.

Customer Question

My washer stopped with one minute left, The spin light is flashing. The door will not open. I've unplugged the washer, plugged it back in and tried to run a drain/spin cycle. The washer won't do anything and the door will not unlock.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.

Peter :

Hi, my name isXXXXX am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. Did you unplug the washer for 2 minutes or longer?

Customer:

Not for two minutes. Just unplugged and waited about 15 secs.

Customer:

It's unplugged now.

Peter :

leave unplugged for 2 minutes. How old is washer approx?

Customer:

Bought in 8/07.

Peter :

ok plug it back in.

Customer:

plugged in

Customer:

should I hit "power" button?

Peter :

yes

Customer:

door will not open, door lock light not on

Customer:

Is someone else there to help me?

Peter :

When you pushed power did the control panel light up?

Customer:

Power button lit. It's on drain/spin cycle and those indicators are on.

Customer:

power button did NOT light, but others are one

Peter :

If you push and hold start what happens?

Customer:

door lock light comes on, but nothing else happens

Customer:

sound of door locking is much quieter than normal

Peter :

You have a defective door lock. Does your model have a separate panel on the bottom 1/3 of the front or is the front panel one piece?

Customer:

There is a bottom panel that has three screws that gives access to the filter area.

Peter :

Remove that panel then you can reach up and feel a pull tab on the bottom of the door lock assembly. Pull it about 1/2" and the door should unlock. If it will not open then it is physically broken and you may have to force the door open.

Customer:

IT'S OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter :

yeah! You can remove the out spring clamp that holds on the grey door gasket to access and replace the door lock.

Customer:

Do I need to call a Whirlpool dealer for repair, or can we buy a lock assembly and install it ourselves?

Customer:

Why would the washer not work wwhen the door was locked?

Peter :

If the control does not detect the door closed it will not start. You can replace it if you are handy. 3 screws and a couple of wire connectors.

Peter :

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way we receive pay for our knowledge and time.
Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

Customer:

Do we need to order from a whirlpool dealer?

Customer:

The clothes that were in the washer did not spin dry even though it said it had only one minute left. Do you think there is another problem other than the door lock?

Peter :

You can order from www.repairclinic.com or your local appliance store. Possible control board but you heard the door lock trying to unlock so the control is functioning as designed. I have seen the door lock cause this 95 % of the time.

Customer:

So, you believe the clothes did not spin dry because it did not detect the door lock?

Peter :

If the door lock light was not lit then it was not detecting the door being closed.

Customer:

We just tried to run a spin/drain cycle. It started. We pushed pause/cancel to see if the door would unlock, but it didn't. We had to unplug and pull the door lock tab again.

Peter :

When you initially closed the door were you able to open the door back up before starting the washer?

Customer:

yes

Peter :

Board good, lock bad.

Customer:

If we hit start, it locks, but the cycle won't start.

Customer:

If we hit cancel, the door won't unlock.

Peter :

Does the washer have water in the tub/

Customer:

doesn't look like it, but clothes were wet.

Peter :

Does the start light flash or stay on steady?

Customer:

start button never lights. Door lock light is on and time light is on and setting lights are on

Peter :

thinking

Peter :

Do you hear a hum from the pump after you push start or any beeps.

Peter :

Can you get the model # XXXXX is behind the door on a sticker?

Customer:

This is the first time we've heard the pump. It seems like it might be running a drain/spin cycle

Customer:

The clock is moving down.

Customer:

pump has stopped/not spinning yet

Peter :

Did you check the pump filter for debris? have a bucked under the filter when you unscrew it.

Peter :

I meant a bucket

Customer:

My husband will do that now. I know

Peter :

ok

Customer:

Will the tub spin if there are no clothes in it?

Customer:

My husband found some debri in the filter.

Peter :

clothes will not matter. Did a lot of water come out. Since you have removed the debris will it now go in to spin?

Customer:

Yes, water came out. It sounded like it was spinning, but the tub wasn't moving. The spin light is flashing.

Peter :

Do you have the model #?

Customer:

W10079840

Peter :

It should start with WFW or GHW.

Peter :

I am not sure of the issue so I am going to opt out for another expert. good luck.

Customer:

WFW8300SW00

Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 2 years ago.
Hi may name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you get your problem resolved

The problem you are having with the washer is the motor control board has failed. The count down to 1 minute is a symptom of the controller gone bad. Here is the link for the part and the number you need to get is
Motor Control Board
Item #(NNN) NNN-NNNN

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-Control-Board/W10197864/1468996?modelNumber=WFW8300SW00

Replace it and that should take care of your problem
Experience: 35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs