Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

RA-mls

Customer Question

Our four year old Bosch dishwasher (Model SHE43M) has leaked water onto our oak floor twice: the first time in May 2009 and again in February 2012. Both events occurred when we were away from home (the first for 10 days and the second for 2 1/2 days). We turned off the main water supply line to our home before leaving on both trips. When we returned from both trips, the dishwasher was full of water and water was dripping in the front. The cause of the first leak could not be determined after extensive offsite testing by a local dishwasher specialist recommended by our restorer. My wife and I decided to reinstall the dishwasher but to never leave it running while we were away from home. The dishwasher worked well for 2 1/2 years up until last weekend. These events are baffling to us, to our dishwasher specialist, to the restorer and to our insurance company. Surely, there is an answer. Some of my questions are: What could we have done to precipitate these leakages? What could have caused the dishwasher to be full of water while we were away? How could this have happened when the water to our home was turned off? What could have caused the water to leak onto the floor while the door was closed? The expense of drying and replacing our kitchen floor after the first leak and our time to resolve was significant. The second leak was minor and took the restorer only 1 day to dry out. We are awaiting our restorer's recommendation to complete. Please consider our dilemma. We would appreciate your thoughts on resolution of our dishwasher malfunction. Since we have had two leaks, there must be others who have faced this problem and have found resolution. What do you recommend that we do now?  (XXX) XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 2 years ago.

Appliance Tech Care :

Hello

Appliance Tech Care :

When you came back to the flooded dishwasher, was the bottom of the dishwasher filled with fresh water?

Customer :

Yes. I hope you get my response to your question. I don't know what to do next as the only response you allow me to to "accept". Since you have not given me an answer, I have nothing to accept. What do I do now?

Appliance Tech Care :

just type in the chat window, we can discuss that when we are done

Appliance Tech Care :

Customer :

I have noted that you are now offline. I don't know if you plan to return soon, need more time to research an answer, will email me tomorrow or whatever. I am new to this kind of communication and have to say the computer system is giving me false messages. I am very confused. If I don't hear from you soon, I will go to bed. Perhaps you will email, telephone or otherwise contact me with your answer.

Appliance Tech Care :

i am here, please be patient, chat is kinda of slow

Appliance Tech Care :

did you say the washer was filled to the top with fresh water when you returned?

Appliance Tech Care :

the chat does not seem to be working I am going to go the the Q&A You will see a message I will type a message when I change screens

Ok, lets try this. I just need to know if the dishwasher was filled with fresh water when you found it flooding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know what I am doing to keep you from reading my answer. Both times the washer leaked, there was fresh water in the bottom at about the same level as when the dishes are being washed. I believe you can see what I am typing as I type it. Is this correct? Do I need to push another button? What am I doing wrong that you can't read what I am typing?

For now I will assume that your washer overflowed with fresh water. The only place that fresh water can enter into the washer is thru the water inlet valve connected to your hot water supply from the house. You stated that you shut the water off, but I can only assume that the wrong valve was turned off or the shut off valve on your supply is defective. It would be impossible for it to flood if you have no water. I would have thought that would be the first thing the tech would have tested for. Did I understand right that you had the dishwasher removed and tested at another location? Did he replace the water inlet valve? If you had the valve replaced and had another failure in the same manner as the original, then I would have to conclude that the problem does not lie with the valve. The Bosch dishwasher is equipped with a flood control system that should have kicked in as soon as the machine overflowed. There is a float that is supposed to activate the drain pump in the event of the area below the machine gets filled with water. However there is a possibility that water could come out over the edge of the tub and not divert into the receiver area below the dishwasher.
My only other thought is that if a condition of low water pressure occurred at your home, a condition could be created where the water valve will not close completely. The water valve is electrically activated to open but it requires a minimum amount of pressure to close it. If the pressure would drop below that level then the valve would bypass. This type of failure would be extremely difficult to duplicate. The fact that you stated it only happened twice may indicate a intermittent condition that may well be impossible to create artificially to force it to fail in order to prove this hypothesis . If you were asking me what action to take in your case, I would advise you to replace the dishwasher with another. Your peace of mind is worth more than the cost of replacement and the damage that is caused by water. I also think that if you don't take action to mitigate future damage, you may end up with your insurance denying you coverage if it occurs again. I hope this helped you.
Thanks for the opportunity
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your attempt to help. It's too bad we spent 90 minutes on an issue that could have been handled in a 10 minute conversation. You did your best under the circumstances of the limitation in this rediculous "chat" process.

I have used dishwashers for 50 years. For the first 45 years, I had no water problems with dishwashers. My problems began when we bought our Bosch dishwasher. There will be no Bosch products in my future.

I am sympathetic that you spent so much time trying to help me. This problem with my Bosch has stumped many experts. If we could have talked by voice, we might have been able to come up with a better conclusion. I fault Bosch for tying you down in such an inefficient, time consuming process.

I am sorry, but I don't feel the results were of value to me. I had already concluded I would buy another product but had hope Bosch could come up with a solution that would enable me to keep my Bosch.

XXXXX XXXXX

Thats no problem, I scoured my brain to come up with an explanation for your problem. I figured you had tried almost everything. My only disappointment is that I could not shed a different light on what happened with your machine. I haven't gotten stumped too many times in the past 35yrs, but sometimes there is a ghost in the machine and it will defy accurate diagnosis. I am still glad you gave me the opportunity at least to try. Have a nice evening and go luck on your new machine.