Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

Have a GE MIcrowave Model Jes1334wd04. Unsalted butter explodes

Have a GE MIcrowave Model Jes1334wd04. Unsalted butter explodes in it when I'm trying to melt it. Only goes approximately 17 seconds before explosion. This the only problem I have. Has worked fine with salted butter. Is it because it's unsalted or what?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.

Peter :

Hi, my name isXXXXX am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. Please give detail of what you mean by "explosion". Thank you.

Customer:

It blows up the butter -- clear out of the measuring cup and coats the entire inside of the microwave

Customer:

I am using a 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup

Peter :

A microwave heats food by vibrating the moisture particles together and creating friction. If the unsalted butter has a buildup of moisture in the center it can cause this.

Customer:

Would letting it get to room temperature before trying to melt it make a difference? If not, what can I do?

Peter :

Yes that would help. It would allow the moisture to distribute and you also would not have to heat it as long. Frozen butter will have more moisture than chilled or room temp butter.

Peter :

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way we receive pay for our knowledge and time.
Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

Customer:

I have not been freezing it but it has been kept in cold drawer in the refrigerator, along with the salted butter. I tried cutting in the cube into 3 pieces but tried to melt it right away, with no success. It took two cubes of that stuff to get 1/3 of a cup of melted butter. That's a bummer when yo're trying to melt butter for popcorn. Not to mention I had to clean the inside of the microwave 3 times. Thank you for your help. I will take your suggestion and perhaps stop using unsalted butter.

Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.