Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

My GE dishwasher does not drain. It is Model GSD2350RCS and

Customer Question

My GE dishwasher does not drain. It is Model GSD2350RCS and serial number RD829067B
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Nobody answered. It said open question to any technician online now. I selected this option, but arrived at this page. This assumes that I was not satisfied with the original answer when I did not in fact receive any answer at all.
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Peter. I am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. Do you have a model # from inside the door on the tub?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Peter. Yes I got the model number from inside the door on the tub.
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.
When you turn on the dishwasher do you hear the water circulating inside the dishwasher?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I do hear water circulating inside the dishwasher
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.

Either the drain solenoid is defective or the push button switch on the left side of the control panel is defective. If you have a volt meter you can check the components.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well there isn't any switch on the left side of the control panel and if I had a volt meter I wouldn't know how to find the drain solenoid.
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.

The switch that says heated dry or energy save dry and pots/pans is the switch. They wired the drain solenoid through that switch and I have seen this on GE dishwashers.

The drain solenoid is located on the left side of the motor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'lll try changing those settings and see if the dishwasher wants to drain under different conditions.
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.
ok. You can take the lower access panel off and see if the solenoid is melted.
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to visually check the solenoid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got the access panel off but I don't know what a solenoid looks like.
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.

You will see the motor (silver square metal) in the center and mounted to the left side is a bracket about halfway back with a round black cylinder, silver rod on top and a couple of small springs attached to the brackets. with the dishwasher off you should be able to reach in and push the plunger down and it should spring back up. The solenoid looks like this - http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Solenoid-Kit/WD21X10268/1263990

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see the motor. About half way back to the left side of the motor is something that does not look like your solenoid picture but it does have a spring on it. When I push the plunger down it does spring back up.
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.

As long as the port where the drain line hooks up to the disposal is clear and if there is an air gap on the corner of your sink and it is clear then either the switch on the control panel is defective or the timer is defective and not giving power to that solenoid to drain the water.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Thanks for the info. This is obviously something I can't fix.The dishwasher is only two years old and it shouldn't have defective parts.