Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a Kenmore Mod. #596.71272101 that the coils freeze up.

I have a Kenmore Mod. #596.71272101 that the coils freeze up. The Heating element checks OK. So I suspect it is the thermostat or the timer. I get 40-50 omh in the thermostat. The timer has 4 prongs and I can only get continuity across the middle 2. Is this right or is it faulty?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue. If you have any resistance at all through the thermostat it is bad. The thermostat when good will zero out, in other words show no resistance at all. The timer, the best way to check is put it into the defrost cycle and check for 120 volts to the heater. One side of the heater should be powered direct, the other side goes through the thermostat. On most of these models it is indeed the thermostat that fails.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
One other thing to mention is the thermostat needs to be checked when it is below freezing. When it's below freezing the thermostat should be closed and ohm out to zero. When it is warm there will not be any reading at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Tim. I have reinstalled the parts and plug it back in but it did not come back on. What am I missing? I did check the thermostat after it was in another freezer and it still had 40 omh.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
If the unit did not come back on the timer could be in defrost mode. Turn the timer knob clockwise until it clicks and then it should start up again or wait for 30 minutes, that is generally how long the defrost cycle lasts. The defrost thermostat is bad if your getting any ohm reading at all, it should ohm out to zero.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have turned the timer knob untill it clicked several times but nothing. Will wait and see. Could both the thermastat and the timer be bad?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The compressor and fans did not come on? Make sure the control thermostats are both turned on.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
this is the defrost thermostat. The timer could be bad too. Or the operating thermostat.

Thermostat

PART NUMBER: 10442411

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am waiting for your response
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
I did respond, are you not seeing my post?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
The compressor and fans did not come on? Make sure the control thermostats are both turned on. this is what I posted at 2 :15. You never responded back
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
this is the defrost thermostat. The timer could be bad too. Or the operating thermostat. and I posted this at 2:17