Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

my washer wont take water in - it just hums

my washer won't take water in - it just hums
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

First make sure the water is turned on to the unit, it could be a bad inlet valve on the washer or the screens on the hoses or at the valve could be plugged up.

Tim Alan :

I would disconnect the hoses at the unit and turn the water on to verify water to the unit,

Tim Alan :

Check each valve inlet and make sure they are not plugged and also disconnect the other end of the hose to the house water and see if that end may have screens also. Either end or both could be plugged.

Tim Alan :

If there is water to the unit then the valve is bad and would need to be replaced.

Tim Alan : Water valve

PART NUMBER: 21001932 this is the part number for the valve if it is needed

Customer:

ok thanks,, i did look to make sure the screens were clear and that the water was on each value before I hooked the hoses - I purchased "one way" hoses with some kind of shut off incase of a water issue,but I double checked that I put those on correctly too and I did...I guess it's the valve - can you tell me approx how much those valves would be to purchase?

Tim Alan :

You know I have had issues with those hoses, they call those anti flood hoses.

Tim Alan :

The hoses themselves could be blocking the water flow when the valve opens

Customer:

should I try the old hoses first before I buy the part?

Tim Alan :

The valve inside the hose senses a flood or leak and may be shutting off the water

Tim Alan :

Yes that is what I would do, I don't trust thoses hoses on washers

Tim Alan :

The valve would cost around 35 dollars

Customer:

ok thanks...I'll do that right now - thanks for the tip

Customer:

and I appreciate the help on the part price too - sometimes when a girl comes in - they'll double the price on me! :-(

Tim Alan :

Your welcome, please remember to press the accept button and leave a comment, if you need further assistance just let me know, thank you and have a great day,.

Tim Alan :

That price was from sears parts direct

Tim Alan :

partselect, appliance parts pros, and appliance zone are other sources

Tim Alan :

or type in appliance parts in your browser to bring up your local listings

Customer:

thanks again. I will contact you if I have another question

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service