Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

You mention the drain from the freezer is behind the rear wall.

You mention the drain from the freezer is behind the rear wall. Is that the rear wall inside the freezer, or the outside rear of the whole refrigerator?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 4 years ago.

Tim Alan :

It's the rear wall inside the freezer, there is no access from the outside and rear of the freezer.

Tim Alan :

The drain trough is right under the coil and the drain line is right in the middle or close to it at the lowest point.

Tim Alan :

I use a small hammer and just tap the ice and break it up into chunks.

Tim Alan :

Then very hot water to thaw and clear the drain out.

Tim Alan :

I then bend the heating element or wrap a small metal wire around the heater and hang down inside the drain to keep it from freezing up again.

Tim Alan :

Most of the time I just bend the element down towards the drain and that works the best.

Tim Alan :

Using something like a coat hanger and wrapping around the element works good too

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

Item 7 is the drain trough the diagram doesn't show were it is at but it sits right under the coil

Tim Alan :

I think there is a problem with chat, I am going to switch to the Q and A format. If you need further assistance please just let me know. Thank you.

Expert:  Tim Alan replied 4 years ago.
To access the drain clear out the freezer and remove the rear inside panel and then clear all the ice and then use very hot water to thaw out and clear the drain.

The drain in the freezer is plugged and frozen, to fix the issue, the drain trough inside the freezer that is behind the rear wall and under the coil needs to be cleared and flushed.

This is from my original post, I did specify inside the freezer behind the rear wall.