Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

Hello, I have a GE electric dryer model number DBVH512EF0WW.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a GE electric dryer model number DBVH512EF0WW. It isn't drying the clothes. I have replaced the 3-thermostats at the rear of the dryer on the heating element housing. I've also replaced the heating element.

Any ideas on what it may be?

Thanks, Steve
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Is the unit heating at all?

If not: You will need to check the breaker on the house and reset it. Use a voltmeter to check the power at the wall plug(if you have one). Check the plug itself for any burn marks. Open the cover on the back of the dryer where the cord hooks up. Check that area for any burns or breaks. Any of those things can cause the unit to operate at 120V instead of the 240V needed to tumble and heat. Check all of that and let me know what you find, if anything.

If it is heating a little but not drying then you will need to clear the vent line out and make sure it is open and the air is free flowing.

Just let me know what you find on that and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Robert,

I did clean the vent originally. But after moving everything around and trying to get the housing clean I must have dislodged more lint. I have a screen over the exhaust outside to keep critters from climbing in,,,so stuff gets caught on it pretty quick. I also did what you said and reset the breaker. It wasn't tripped but reset it anyway.

So somewhere between those to things my dryer is FINALLY working. There wasn't that much lint,,,so could it have been something as simple as resetting the breaker???

It was heating a little but not much.

thanks, Steve

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Yes it could. The breakers on a 240V circuit can pop halfway sometimes. It will look like they are one completely but they are only delivering 120V to the dryer. That voltage will turn the motor but will not heat.
If the breaker continues to do that then you may want to consider replacing the breaker itself. because it could be getting weak on one leg.