Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

my amana bottom refrigerator has had a thermostat replaced,

my amana bottom refrigerator has had a thermostat replaced, and now does not cool very well, have cleaned all the coils. What else can go wrong? how do you tell if it is the compressor?

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

What was the original problem that made you replace the thermostat.

Robert :

Also, how long ago was that?

Customer:

it was replaced about 2 months ago and it was doing the same thing. it was in the house when i bought it and i have not had any trouble until recently. neither the refrigerator or the freezer is maintaing the coolness. I have also had the colils cleaned on a regular basis.

Robert :

Is there any frost built up on the back panel on the inside of the freezer? Is the fan in the freezer running?

Customer:

part of the recent problem is the refrigerator seems to run a lot. There is no frost built up in the freezer and the fan is running.

Customer:

Do you have any ideas on what it could be/

Robert :

How old is this unit?

Robert :

I was looking at the breakdown and there are a couple of things that could cause the unit to run longer times. I need you to verify that the compressor, the fan by the compressor and the fan in the freezer are running. Can you handle that?

Customer:

it was here when I moved in my house and that was seven years ago.

Robert :

I can date it with the serial number if you would like. Just post the serial number for me. Just let me know about those 3 things I asked you to check so we can get you going again.

Customer:

i have part of a number and can not read the rest of it.P119651. hope this helps.

Robert :

Your refrigerator is almost 12 years old. The life expectancy of the unit is around 11 so the breakdowns are right on time.

Robert :

Did you get a chance to make sure the compressor and both fans are running for me?

Customer:

They seem to be running and i can hear them. The icemaker is not working as the ice is melting.

Customer:

Do you think it is the compressor/

Robert :

Ok. If there is no frost on the coils in the freezer and the fans are both running then you are looking at a compressor issue OR a low freon issue.

Robert :

Both of those things requires a professionally licensed tech to repair.

Robert :

The freon is the most likely problem because you said it seemed to be running longer and longer.

Robert :

This could indicate a small leak in the coil system.

Customer:

Thank you so much, this gives me something to go on. i will call a repair person in the morning. Thanks a lot for your help.

Robert :

No problem. I wish it was something more simple for you.

Robert :

Please click the accept button to close this chat if you are happy with my service and have a great night!