Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

My friends GE Profile Dishwasher (marked w/ three model numbers:

My friend's GE Profile Dishwasher (marked w/ three model numbers: GSD1930TWW, GSD1920TBB, GSD1910TAA) is no longer dissolving the soap puck. I'm guessing the timing mechanism that releases the soap is out of synch and releasing the door, too late. Am I even on the right track here?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

It sounds more like you are having a filling issue.

Customer:

Ahh, so not a timing one?

Robert :

When the water fills up in the tub, about how deep is it.

Customer:

Not sure I'll have to stop it mid-run, I just learned about the issue this evening.

Customer:

Shall I run it now?

Robert :

It could still be a timer issue but you are saying it still has to be ran a couple of times to dissolve the soap. This points more towards a lack of water OR a lack of washing power.

Robert :

Start it up and let it fill. As soon as it starts washing, stop it and check the water lever.

Robert :

level, sorry.

Customer:

OK, filling now

Customer:

How high should it be?

Robert :

It should cover the bottom of the dishwasher and be about 1 inch deep(or a little more) in the middle.

Customer:

Only filling about 1/2"

Robert :

Has the water valve been making a squealing noise at all lately?

Customer:

She says yes, "Yes, it's been making noises lately, but I'm not sure it's a 'squeal' "

Robert :

Has she noticed grainy stuff in the top of her cups more than it used to do?

Customer:

Yes!

Robert :

Can she explaing the noises to me a little? (last one, I promise, lol)

Customer:

"She's hearing 'big clunks' during various parts of the cycle"

Customer:

She's not sure when exactly though...

Robert :

That definitely could be the water valve shuttering because it is having a problem opening all the way. The water level is decent but I think it should be deeper. My main concern is it could possibly be the motor/pump assy going out on the unit also but, without the proper water levels, it will suffer in performance and seem like the motor/pump when it is not.

Customer:

Ah OK, the machine is about 17yrs old now, but is it repairable?

Robert :

The water valve is about 33 dollars and the motor/pump is about 142. Given the age of the unit it would be worth the water valve but I think the motor is close behind that. They only last about 11-15 years in most cases. Knowing that should help you make a decision on repairing or replacing.

Robert :

Personally, I would walk away from it if I was in a stituation where I could replace it.

Customer:

Gotcha, I appreciate your advice Robert. Where would I find a manual to read up on the replacement process if it comes to that?

Robert :

Let me see if there is a video for you.l

Customer:

Cool, thanks

Robert :

That is a good one to go by. Easy to understand and good picture quality.

Customer:

Right on thanks again for all your help Robert!

Robert :

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else

Customer:

Will do, have a good night Robert.

Robert :

Please click the accept button to close this chat if you are happy and have a great night!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.