Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

Washer is locked with clothes inside. Will not turn on in

Customer Question

Washer is locked with clothes inside. Will not turn on in any way. Machine unplugged and re-plugged. Breakers checked.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

You have no lights on the panel at all?

Customer:

Correct

Robert :

Did you have a power surge or any sort?

Customer:

The breaker did need to be reset for the washer but eveything else in the house seems OK.

Robert :

Ok. Something inside of the machine likely shorted out and popped the fuse OR the wall plug shorted out. The first thing I would try, if you don't have a voltmeter, is an extension cord on a different plug. Do you have one that will reach a plug in another area?

Customer:

I do but I am not at home. I thought of that before I left. I can go home to try this but could you give me any other advice in case this dosent work since we will need to end this chat ?definetely sounds electrical though to you??

Robert :

It does sound electrical to me. I would try the plug thing first. If it doesn't come on then you will need to investigate. The best way to check the unit is to look at the top panel. On the very back of the top panel there should be 3 screws, remove those. There will be 3 more screws on the plastic piece on top of the panel, towards the front, that hold the plastice to the control panel. Remove those screws. Push back on the top and lift it off. The plastic piece on the front will usually fall off so be careful with it. on the bottom side of the panel you will need to look for smoke spots or residue. If you find a spot just note where it is and then look in the corresponding area inside the washer for a burnt component.

Robert :

If you don't find any spots then the next place to check is the control board.

Customer:

OK..thanks! XXXXX get in touch with you again after we end this chat if I need more help?

Robert :

Absolutely. There should be a link pop up in your email about 15 minutes or so after you close this chat. It may go to your spam folder so check there. Just message me when you are ready and I will be glad to help you.

Customer:

Thanks......bye!

Robert :

I can tell you how to get your clothes out while you wait for parts also(if needed).

Robert :

You're welcome.

Customer:

OH great....can you do that now?

Robert :

Sure.

Robert :

Look at the panel below the door. There will be 3 screws in the botXXXXX XXXXXp of that panel. Remove the screws on the panel and then bump the panel down. It will come off that way. Once the panel is off you can reach inside the washer on the right hand side and locate the door lock with your hand. On the bottom of the door lock there should be a pull tab. Pull the tab down to release the door lock. CAUTION: All water inside the unit will come out when you unlock the door this way so be prepared. I would use a bucket or something to drain off any excess water by removing the pump cleanout before opening the door.

Customer:

Super....thanks!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

I look forward to helping you out more in the future so let me know if you need anything.