gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

My almost new Samsung DMT-400 dishwasher wont drain and indicator

Customer Question

My almost new Samsung DMT-400 dishwasher won't drain and indicator light says pump failure. How can I fix it, and how much will it cost?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

hi

gst85 :

is your drain hose run directly to the sink or disposal?

Customer :

Hi, cut the hose and running open into bucket now.

gst85 :

ok is it draining out?

Customer :

no

gst85 :

ok chances are that your drain pump has failed

Customer :

obviously. only in use 3 months. how to get it out and / or check for sure if it's failed?

gst85 :

it is removed from inside the machine which is attached to the motor.

gst85 :

not an easy job

Customer :

so if the copper blade turns freely, does that mean the pump is *not* jammed?

Customer :

er *chopper blade*

gst85 :

correct

gst85 :

you are able to clean the filter from inside the machine

Customer :

took out & cleaned filter and all 3 piecs of plastic down to the chopper blade.

Customer :

already

gst85 :

ok but the water will still not drain ?

Customer :

can hear "pumping / sloshing water " sound about 1 sec, then quits. no water comes out open hose.

Customer :

is there another filter deeper down?

gst85 :

no the only filter is the one that you have accessed

gst85 :

do you know if its still under warranty?

Customer :

also wierd, seems like it takes a long time minute or few to respond to controls. unfortuanately we bought it at start of remodel project 2 years ago, so even though only used 3 months no warranty

gst85 :

ok so the warranty has obviously expired

Customer :

sad

gst85 :

to be honest i would not put any money into this machine .since you just stated that the control is also giving you trouble

Customer :

how much harder to remove sump, compared to what i already did cleaning filter etc

gst85 :

ok you can now remove the hose from the pump by taking off the lower kickplate

gst85 :

there may be blockage there

Customer :

sorry can we continue later today? i have an appointment till about 2 hrs from now. and could try to remove hose

gst85 :

sure can,just save this page

Customer :

thanks will be back

gst85 :

sure

Customer :

now i see that pump hose goes to a plastic complex thing on the side of the DW that looks kind of like a pinball machine, and from there it goes to the drain hose out to the sink (or in my case bucket). that plastic thing has a loop, like upside-down p-trap, sort of, in the drain circuit. kThat loop remains full of water. I now know the water sloshing sound for about 1 sec is not the sump pump, it is spraying inside the DW. So the sump pump never goes on. remains silent. how can i get to that sump?

Customer :

ok, i figured out that. gotta turn the unit on side to get to the bottom.....standby

gst85 :

sure

gst85 :

take your time

Customer :

well... problem solved and FYI it turned out trivially easy to remove the pump from the bottom side. Really good service-oriented design by Samsung! There is a separate motor for the sump, separate from the chopper, so even though chopper turned freely the sump was jammed. And just as I had speculated in my original question, inside the sump was a piece of that wooden spoon jamming things up. Removed and works perfect.

gst85 :

ok great

gst85 :

if i have been helpful please remember to press accept for my time