Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a Kenmore Front Loader Model # XXXXX that is

I have a Kenmore Front Loader Model # XXXXX that is leaving large black and brown stains on clothing and towels. They look like large motor oil stains to me. We have totally cleaned out the liquid fabric softener dispenser and even stopped using liquid fabric softener in hopes of solving the problem, but it is only getting worse. Do you know what this could be?Is this something that means the washer is at the end of it's life?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

This sounds like a failing rear bearing seal in the tub.

Robert :

It could also be a buildup of gunk in the unit.

Robert :

Have you ever cleaned the unit before?

Customer:

Yes we totally cleaned it out recently when the problem started.

Customer:

but the problem just is getting worse

Customer:

the most recent stains are larger than ever before

Customer:

If it's the seal, and it has been going on for a while could permanent damage have been done?

Robert :

Is the unit making any noises during the spin cycle.

Customer:

Yes it's very noisy, but not squealing.

Robert :

The noise will be more of a rougher, grinding noise rather than a squeaky noise.

Customer:

It doesn't make any noises when I turn the tub by hand, but it feels just a little rough or bumpy when I do.

Customer:

If this seal is the problem, would fixing the seal fix the problem? Or would I have to repair or replace the motor too?

Robert :

Fixing the seal and bearing on the unit should take care of the problem. The motor will be fine.

Customer:

Ok. Do you have any idea what that usually costs?

Robert :

This unit is built by Frigidaire. Let me look at cost and part number for you.

Customer:

ok, that would be appreciated

Robert :

The bearing is built into the rear part of the tub on your unit.

Customer:

Do you have an estimate on how long it would take a professional to repair?

Robert :

That means you will have to replace that part of the tub and the seal in between the front and the back.

Customer:

ugh

Robert :

The rear outer tub is about 180 dollars and the seal is 25.

Customer:

that's good to know.

Robert :

If you hire someone to do it, you are looking at 350-400 dollars.

Customer:

Very good to know. You have been very helpful. Thank you so much.

Robert :

They always charge more when then come out. Its unacceptable but it is common practice with most businesses.

Robert :

You could likely do it yourself if you are handy.

Customer:

Maybe we could try that. My husband is very handy. Anything else you think I should know before I press the accept button?

Robert :

I can get the part numbers and a link to an instructional video for you.

Customer:

That would be great.

Robert :

Here is the video link:

Customer:

great

Robert :

The part number for the tub isNNN-NN-NNNN The seal is part numberNNN-NN-NNNN

Robert :

You can get the parts online at www.searspartsdirect.com.

Customer:

Wonderful.

Customer:

And the $350-400 estimate-- is that for labor only or for parts and labor? That will be my last question.

Robert :

This will save you a couple of hundred dollars in the long run and it is not super hard if you follow the video.

Customer:

You have been very helpful. Thanks so much.

Robert :

You are looking at 200 dollars for parts.

Customer:

Ok. Understood.

Customer:

thanks! I will leave good feedback for you!

Robert :

Thank you. Have a great day!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.