Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I replaced the icemaker and water valve in my Jenn-Air refrigerator.

Customer Question

I replaced the icemaker and water valve in my Jenn-Air refrigerator. When I jump the contacts on the front of the icemaker the unit cycles, the tray warms, the ejectors cycle, and the water valve opens to allow water into the tray. After I remove the jumper wire the water valve does not open up. The icemaker will cycle but I don't get water (pre-ice) in the tray. What should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

Can you get the model number off of the sticker in the refrigerator compartment for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure, 1 minute please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jenn-Air model #JCB2389GRS
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I am pulling the wiring diagrams on your unit now to see what the problem may be.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like you did everything right when I look at the wiring diagram. There is really nothing that would prevent it from doing that except the icemaker. One question: How long did you leave the jumper wire in the icemaker?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first time around 30 seconds. Then let the fridge sit over night. That second day I left it in for a few minutes to ensure the water valve would cycle thinking I might have a bad valve or a broken lead to the valve.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I think you may have accidentally shorted the icemaker sending unit by leaving the jumper wire in too long. When you jump the unit you are supposed to only leave it in until the motor turns and you hear a click. That is usually 3-5 seconds. If you leave it in too long it can damage the contacts in the head and ruin the icemaker. The reason I say this is because it happened to me many years ago when I accidentally left the jumper wire in while talking to the customer. I had to pull the icemaker and install another one. It was a costly mistake.

The broken wire idea would be something to look into if the unit didn't fill with water when the jumper was in. That tells me the wiring is good because it did fill. It is possible that the place you purchased it from would take it back and send you a new one. You will need to call the and ask.

Let me know if you need any other explanation or if what I said is confusing. I will gladly answer any questions or concerns you have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just curious though. If the contacts were bad then why would it open the valve again today?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
With or without the jumper wire?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The valve will open if I use the jumper. The icemaker will also cycle without the jumper-I'm positive because I manually filled the tray and let it sit for a while and it ejected the "hand poured" cubes. But then wouldn't open the valve for a fresh set of "auto" cubes.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
It is opening with the jumper because it shorted with the jumper in position. As long as the jumper is there, it will fill. If you remove the jumper it will not fill because that part of the circuit is now missing. It will still cycle and eject the ice but it will not fill again without the jumper completing that part of the circuit. The ejection and thermostat parts of the circuit were not affected by the short, just the fill.
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I test the pins with a multi-meter to confirm that?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
You would have to pull the head off of the icemaker module to check the contacts and locate the shorted circuit. It is possible that you can break the short and sand the contacts to make it work again. Just understand that if you take the head off of the icemaker, the parts warranty will most likely be voided and they may not take it back if they find out. The head is the tan colored part and it is held on by three screws. You will need to take the icemaker arm off before removing the screws or the head. Otherwise you will bend some stuff you don't need to bend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, thanks I understand all of that. My guess is the icemaker was bad from the moment I put it in the fridge. I installed it two weeks ago and just let it sit (without doing the jumper trick) for 4-5 days and it never filled. I then tried the manual fill trick, discovered it was cycling just fine when the cubes ejected, then a couple days later decided to try the jumper. So, if it never tripped the valve (and before I jumpered the pins) it must have been a bad unit right out of the box. Agreed?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
I agree completely. Did they send you an FSP labeled part or some other brand?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was an FSP rebuilt. They (Waterfilmart.com) didn't call it out as a rebuilt on the site but I used to be in the business 20 years ago and I could tell the head had been replaced. Guess they're getting it back along with an extra $30 billl from me. Thanks for your assistance I appreciate your patience.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
No problem. I don't care for the rebuilds myself. I prefer it straight out of the factory. Have a great night!